We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach in August

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
beach in August

Although I used to live in Florida (Miami Beach), I never made it over to the west coast. I've heard that the gulf can be unreliable for surfing but I am really just interested in body surfing. My husband and I are considering a trip to LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort in mid-late August. My question is about the waves in the Naples area. Would there generally be enough to body surf this time of year or is it generally too calm? Also, are there typically many jellyfish this time of year? MB has made me wary of them in recent years! The resort looks perfect for us otherwise. Thanks in advance for any information you can give!

ma
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach in August

There is very little surf on the Gulf. Have been there in August many time and do not recall much if any body surfing. The water is beautiful though and I don't recall any jellyfish problems either.

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach in August

Your only chance to body board or even surf is if there are strong offshore winds kicking up the Gulf, and that is too unpredictable. Even during huricanes off shore I have seen 5 foot swells but it becomes so choppy it cannot be surfed, ( without dying) Most of the time the waves are like 12-18 inches. Skim boarding is popular but it is a teen sport as it is too rough on the body ( when you fall)

There is also a kite boarding class/course that if the winds are right seems fun. Standing paddle board has become popular in the calm waters, but usually I will see them go by standing and come back sitting or on their knees as it takes lots of leg tone.

No jellyfish but stingrays are possible

3. Re: beach in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Naples