We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pretty Beach within 2.5 hours of Miami Airport

maple valley...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pretty Beach within 2.5 hours of Miami Airport

My husband and I will be in Miami staying at the Ritz Carlton. We would like to come a few days early and were looking for something a little more romantic and a pretty beach. We are big fans of Playa Del Carmen in Mexico so we were thinking the Gulf Side might be closer to what we hope to find? Dont really want to drive more than 2.5 hours from Miami.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pretty Beach within 2.5 hours of Miami Airport

Wow. Ritz is pretty romantic with a beautiful beach IMHO. Look into Little Palm Island in the Keys.

maple valley...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pretty Beach within 2.5 hours of Miami Airport

Ha-ha, I really sound like a snob don't I ! I am sure the Ritz is amazing. I have never been to Miami, but my "perception" is that the beaches are crowded and so is the city. I am excited to check it out but would love a few days to just relax first in a smaller town with more of a boutique style hotel with less crowded beach. Thank you for the suggestion. I have never heard of Little Palm Island, I'll check it out.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,763 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pretty Beach within 2.5 hours of Miami Airport

You didn't say for when but nearby South Beach on Miami Beach might be all that you need.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pretty Beach within 2.5 hours of Miami Airport

I think the Gulf beaches (Marco Island and Naples) are more what you are looking for. They are relaxing and romantic . . . Not quite like any area in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale in my opinion!

NJ
Level Contributor
21 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pretty Beach within 2.5 hours of Miami Airport

If you are loking for a quiet more secluded area, try Sanibel island, I would however suggest Naples! It is not nearly as hectic as Miami and Naples is right on the Gulf with gorgeous beaches Ritz Carlton in Naples is private and on the beach. I would also suggest downtown Naples, The Inn on Fifth. It's a small boutique hotel and right in the middle of 5th Ave. S. There are quaint shops, it's a relaxed atomoshpere with upscale dining, outdoor patio restaurants and within walking distance of the beach and the famous Naples sunsets at the Pier. Very european feel without all the hustle and bustle of the "Miami scene." Naples is within 2.5 hours drive of Miami and a pretty straight shot across the everglades so you will not have a problem detting to Miami. Check out the web-site, maybe it's what you have in mind:

www.fifthavenuesouth.com

Ft Myers
Level Contributor
96 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pretty Beach within 2.5 hours of Miami Airport

In less than 2 hours from MIA you can be on Islamorada one of the Keys on the way to Key West. Check out the Cheeca Lodge. www.Cheeca.com

maple valley...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pretty Beach within 2.5 hours of Miami Airport

Thanks for all the advice!! I thought I had narrowed it down to Naples but after checking out the Cheeca Lodge I am torn between Naples and Islamorada. From what I am reading on here the water and beaches are much nicer on the Gulf of Mexico side? I really am hoping to find the turquoise blue water and white sandy beaches similar to the Caribbean . Is that possible in either place? Cheeca Lodge looks pretty but is it crowded with families? Love my kids but they are staying home this trip. We are coming early May.

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pretty Beach within 2.5 hours of Miami Airport

If beaches are your priority and your shortlist is Naples or Islamorada then the choice is easy - Naples!

If you are looking for great beaches, I feel you would be disappointed visiting the Florida Keys.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pretty Beach within 2.5 hours of Miami Airport

I agree with jamkart - Naples for the beaches

I love the Florida Keys for snorkeling or diving but NOT for the beaches.

maple valley...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pretty Beach within 2.5 hours of Miami Airport

Thanks for the help. Naples it is!!