We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is with the Crop Rectangles?

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
What is with the Crop Rectangles?

In Google Earth, when I view a lot of areas around Naples, I see huge rectangular grids. When I picked up a AAA map for our trip, I see that these are also on the map. They even have street names, although nothing has been built on them.

I assume there is some legal reason these plots of land with streets bulldozed into them are even there. If they were ever going to be developments or subdivisions, the streets wouldn't be run as straight as they are. Why are these plots of land bulldozed into "streets"?

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is with the Crop Rectangles?

This area is known as the blocks. If you can remember the phrase "I got some swamp land in Florida for sale" this is what it was at one point. customers would fly over the are and spend the $2000 for their lot. Well the devellpoment went bust and due to Everglades restoration the few houses in the area are now gone, the idea is to resore natural water flow back to the area. The cracked concrete streets remain but are slowly disolving. An interesting side line, back in the 80's the empty roads were used as landing strips for drug runners. Visit the Collier museum they may have some more information about the "south blocks"

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is with the Crop Rectangles?

Oh I was talking about the grids south of the highway, north of I-75 the streets do have homes this is known as Golden Gate Estates.

3. Re: What is with the Crop Rectangles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 14:42