We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island House Motel - Casey Key - My 2 cents

Which Nokomis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Island House Motel - Casey Key - My 2 cents

My husband and I just returned from a lovely 3 night/4 day stay at the Island House Motel on Casey Key...a charming barrier island just off the coast in Nokomis. We have nothing but good things to say about this gem of a place, and of Stacey, the woman in charge. First and foremost (for us) was its location....DIRECTLY ON THE BEACH with stunning 180 degree views of the Gulf and snow white sand for miles in either direction. The motel is a modest 2 story building that evokes the 1960's era of "old Florida." Kitchy is a word that comes to mind -- some would say "quaint", which appeals to us. CLEAN is the one that mattered to us most. And this place is IMMACULATE!! We stayed in room 11 -- upstairs, end room. It had a small kitchenette with a table/chairs, electric stove/oven, microwave, toaster oven, and coffee maker. It came complete with plenty of plates/silverware, pots/pans, utensils, etc. and a nice big fridge. Terrazzo floors throughout...small but super duper clean/maintained en suite bathroom with tub/shower combo. Main room featured a full size sofa, 2 comfy recliner chairs, a large/new dresser, closet full of hangers and a brand new color TV w/cable. The room had a Murphy bed, which at first made us a bit nervous. Wow. Were WE wrong -- any fears about a lousy/thin mattress quickly vanished the minute we laid down. Nice thick/new mattress.....and we had 3 nights of restful sleep listening to the waves crashing on our backyard beach.

But the best part is that the entire rear wall of the apartment (they refer to this as an efficiency apartment if decide to book there) is a wall of glass with a sliding glass door. The view? Nothing but gulf waves, sea grass, palm trees and a lovely assortment of wildlife flying/swimming past your room. There is a generous balcony that runs the length of the building. Each room comes with their own set of chairs/small table outside to encourage (like you'd need any encouragement..LOL) you to sit outside, watch the waves, enjoy that constant Gulf breeze, with your morning coffee or evening cocktail. And no phones in the rooms. Perfect!!!

Stacey, the manager, could not have been more accommodating. We needed to press off our clothes for a wedding and she cheerfully lent us one. I loved her little tour of the place - they are environmentally aware -- recycling, water conservation, compact fluorescent light bulbs, etc. There is no room service- but there was a limitless supply of fresh linens/towels available for the taking. We also loved that fact that there was an ample supply of beach chairs, floats, and other beach stuff for the borrowing, and the all-important outdoor shower for when you come back from the beach and need to rinse off the sand.

We will most definitely be returning here!! I'd be happy to correspond privately if you have any questions. What a thoroughly delightful getaway we had!!!

Edited: 16 May 2011, 17:17
10 replies to this topic
Mattoon, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island House Motel - Casey Key - My 2 cents

We have stayed here twice and have loved it too! You cannot find a better place and the view is to die for. So peaceful and the beach is not over crowded like most are. Stacey helped us out when we found out our flight was booked earlier than we thought. she is the sweetest lady and will give you advise on where to eat what there is to do in the area. Can't say enough about this place. Never have been disappointed.

Indian Springs...
Level Contributor
24 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island House Motel - Casey Key - My 2 cents

Sounds perfect. Sound a lot like the www.driftwoodinn.com in Mexico beach up in the panhandle. Thanks for the info. On the bucket list for a slow FL. tour with my hubby. : )

winnipeg
Level Contributor
110 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island House Motel - Casey Key - My 2 cents

Thanks so much for your review! We are staying there in May, any suggestions for restaurants close by?

Mattoon, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island House Motel - Casey Key - My 2 cents

Pops Sunset Grill-http://popssunsetgrill.net/

Pelican Alley-http://www.pelicanalley.com/

They are both right over the bridge.... but worth a drive to go to is Sharky's On the Pier-http://www.sharkysonthepier.com/..(Venice)..We go every time we come to the area...You can't get any closer to the ocean and the sunsets are to die for there...Great margaritas and the food is good.....I promise you that you will not be disappointed... Have a wonderful time...May is the perfect time to go...Last time we went in May everything was in bloom and just beautiful..Hope to see your comments on here on how your trips was...:)

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island House Motel - Casey Key - My 2 cents

Not a fan of either Pops Sunset Grill or Pelican, great views, but the food is lacking at both. If your goal is great food Venice has more offerings. My best advice is to look at the Tripadvisor reviews, as they tend to be fairly accurate. For breakfast Nokomis Breakfast House, For seafood in the area Robbie's Reef is the hands down winner. My other fav is the Sand Trap. They have a menu for Thai food, and a menu for American bar/pub food, and either choice is good.

Mattoon, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island House Motel - Casey Key - My 2 cents

I will have to try those...thanks for the info...

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,622 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island House Motel - Casey Key - My 2 cents

thanks a lot for the review.

There is always a disparity between distance and perceived quality.

yes, I ate at pelican and it was OK. The setting was better than OK. My likes.dislikes didn't match the locals so much (ie there was a lot of fried food on t he menu and am not a huge fan of fried apart form a grouper sandwich maybe.

But if you want quaint and local over touristy (and Sharkey's is touristy- many turn their noses up but I like it fine for lunch) then you need to pick a busier area.

This one doesn't get enough tourists to match upmarket or up north expectations. they need to fulfill the desires of those who frequent all months of the year. I am OK with that. Even if I myself pregfer more grilled over fried lol.

Edited: 04 April 2014, 22:59
Mattoon, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island House Motel - Casey Key - My 2 cents

I also prefer the grill over the fried too....We go to Sharkys everytime we go to that area just for the fantastic views of the ocean and the foods okay... I like Nokomis for its peace and quiet...I do not like crowded beaches and college kids everywhere even I have two of my own....I am coming to get away from all that and I have never been disappointed with this area....ever and we have been coming since the early 90's...I would like to try the other places suggested and venture out a bit farther each time...but there is no place like Nokomis for us....

Edited: 05 April 2014, 22:43
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,622 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island House Motel - Casey Key - My 2 cents

You can generally get Peel and eat shrimp everywhere I this i can fall back on if I find a place that is mainly fried food lol.

I love smaller sleepy towns but those do come with food challenges.

Mattoon, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island House Motel - Casey Key - My 2 cents

That is true...We did a lot of cooking ourselves since we had a kitchen and got a lot of fresh fruits and fish...I think we enjoyed going to Walmart more than eating out!!! Nice area...

Reply to: Island House Motel - Casey Key - My 2 cents
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nokomis