We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help choosing a rental villa: Murmond or Palm Flower Ln

New Jersey
Level Contributor
183 posts
Need help choosing a rental villa: Murmond or Palm Flower Ln

I'm traveling with my adult kids, spouses, and two children and decided on Captiva over Marco Island because I thought I would find a rental near the beach which isn't possible on Marco.

Our dates have very limited choices since we need 5 bedrooms for a group of 9.

I felt we should stay near the center of Captiva but the only homes that have the right bed configurations are on Murmond which is bay side. Our other option is on the beach near Palm Flower Lane. PFL would be my first choice but it seems kind of isolated. If it were just me I would have no problem but I have young adults and little kids. We would like to rent bikes, and do water sports, maybe go sailing and fishing.

Can anyone tell me a little about the lower part of Captiva and whether it is suitable?

Thanks,

TM

28 replies to this topic
New Jersey
Level Contributor
183 posts
1. Re: Need help choosing a rental villa: Murmond or Palm Flower Ln

I forgot to mention there is another lovely location on Wightman. It is very close to the beach but the downside is no pool. I love this location but think having a pool would be a nice feature to enjoy.

Thanks again,

TM

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
179 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: Need help choosing a rental villa: Murmond or Palm Flower Ln

I would choose Murmond Lane. Even though you are not right on the beach there, you are not far from the beach at all. I like the ability to easily walk to the village area for meals or shopping and that would be difficult to do if staying on Palm Flower Lane. And I agree with wanting to have a pool, especially if you are visiting while it will be hot! Hope you all enjoy your time on Captiva as much as we do!

Edited: 31 July 2017, 14:31
New Jersey
Level Contributor
183 posts
3. Re: Need help choosing a rental villa: Murmond or Palm Flower Ln

Thank you for your quick reply! Very helpful to hear your thoughts.

And we need to quickly make a decision.

Best,

TCM

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Need help choosing a rental villa: Murmond or Palm Flower Ln

Which agencies have you used in your search?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
183 posts
5. Re: Need help choosing a rental villa: Murmond or Palm Flower Ln

I am really struggling with having confidence in my choice.

I'm using American Realty and Re/Max plus Home Away.

There aren't many options for my weeks since mostly everything is booked.

One home has a downstairs with a bedroom and den that I would need to bring in a rollaway for the 6 year old but I'm not sure it's right when I see a refridgerator in the den? Seems like a garage turned den.

We don't go away with the whole family much and I want this to be close to perfect. My new daughter in law will be travelling with us for the first time and I want it to be really nice.

Question: There might be more options on North Captiva. We like to eat out and it doesn't seem like there are many choices on the island. How convenient is traveling with a group of 9 to dine in Captiva when staying in North Captiva?

I don't think you are allowed a car on North Captiva. How do you get from the airport to the ferry with a large group?

Are there water sports available on North Captiva? I'm going to start looking into that area.

Thanks for the help so far. Right now I'm not feeling sure of what to do.

TCM

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
635 posts
6. Re: Need help choosing a rental villa: Murmond or Palm Flower Ln

There is essentially no travel option from North Captiva to Captiva other than a private boat or charter. North Captiva is isolated with travel by golf cart.....no cars allowed and no bridge. There's only one restaurant I believe, and its's at the ferry dock.

Your choice of the two Captiva houses depends on how close you want to be to the village, which is very walkable with restaurants, a small grocery, and ice cream shop and coffee house. The Murmond house is closer to the village, but the beach will be a little more crowded than the Palm Flower house. Also no main road to cross at Murmond to get to the beach.

Palm Flower will be more isolated with a less crowded beach, but you have to cross the main road. It looks like Palm Flower will be a little closer to the beach, depending where the house is on Murmond.

I like Wightman Lane...it's a gorgeous lush tropical feel tree lined sand lane, Very close to the village. The walk to the beach will vary depending how far down the lane you are.

Chicago
Level Contributor
185 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Need help choosing a rental villa: Murmond or Palm Flower Ln

We have stayed right on Andy Ross Lane and bayside. I now prefer bayside, less cars and people going by. The walk is not far and you can rent a beachcart or I've seen many people drive all the gear and people to the Mucky Duck parking lot, unload and then park the car back at your rental.

I only rent a house with a pool and we "visit" the beach daily but really lounge poolside for hours!

Just a recommendation if the kids are over 5 go to Tween Waters for the family crab races Monday or Thursday. When my kids were small they loved it!! Just last month we went to the adult version, ate there and the food was a vast improvement! Great grouper sandwich!! It's our only night of nightlife and $$ go to a great cause.

Hope you fall in love with Captiva like us. It's now an annual trip!!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
67 reviews
8. Re: Need help choosing a rental villa: Murmond or Palm Flower Ln

Another couple agencies to try:

Kingfisher Vacations

Royal Shell Vacations

United States
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Need help choosing a rental villa: Murmond or Palm Flower Ln

Not knowing what the address is on Murmond, I can only give advice on Palm Flower. I think it is lovely! Crossing to the beach is a no brainer, of course children will be with adults, and you will practically have a private beach. I've stayed many times across Captiva Drive, and really enjoy that area.

If you are just not sure of your choice, take the advice above and contact one of those two vacation rental companies. I've worked with both and they are most reputable.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
183 posts
10. Re: Need help choosing a rental villa: Murmond or Palm Flower Ln

Hello, I wish the website alerted me to your responses. Sorry I haven't commented on the replies until now.

Found a house and booked but have a few more questions.

We looked very carefully at all the availability and were torn but decided on a villa on Dickey. I believe this is in the Village and the access to the beach is Laika. Google maps says .2miles. It is a bit of a walk and I am worried about it but the house comes with beach carts, has an enclosed pool, and plenty of bedrooms so everyone has their own sleeping space.

We read about the crab races and would love to participate.

I have some more questions related to planning our trip:

How far in advance should I rent beach umbrellas and bicycles since spring break is a busy time?

Which rental company?

Same question regarding renting a car that fits our family and luggage. A van will fit all of us but somehow it doesn't seem to fit the Captiva vibe.

I had to laugh but my middle son is trying to find a gym. I wish I had that kind of dedication. Any chance the South Seas Resort will allow outsiders to use their facility for a fee?

Thank you so much for your help.

Kind Regards,

TCM

Reply to: Need help choosing a rental villa: Murmond or Palm Flower Ln
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Captiva Island
Recent Conversations