We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irma Related Travel Questions

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Irma Related Travel Questions

Please, everyone stay on topic or Tripadvisor will delete this discussion. Updates on the vacation, restaurant, life on Captiva as Irma recovery occurs.

Too start, received news tonight that electricity has been restored up to Andy Rosse Lane, and it is expected that South Seas will get power tomorrow. Email from South Seas administration tonight. He walked much of the resort and inspected many units. Other than a few damage lanai screens, units were all intake. North end pools suffered inundation . Despite this, South Seas announced they will closed until the 27th.

Restaurant wise, Lazy Flamingo at Santiva is open.

15 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Irma Related Travel Questions

Thank you for the update. Glad that my trip is in October!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Irma Related Travel Questions

Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa

opened today with limited services. They say they will have full serves by weekend.

Edited: 13 September 2017, 19:28
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irma Related Travel Questions

Thanks for the update. We are booked for end October so sounds like we should be ok by then. Relieved to see the damage was not bad anyway so hopefully life can get back to normal for the residents as well.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Irma Related Travel Questions

South Seas Island Resort moved their opening date one week. Now wed. 09/20/17.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Irma Related Travel Questions

Thanks, that is good news for September travelers, and the economy!

Louisville, Kentucky
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Irma Related Travel Questions

We rented Cabo Wabo for the week of Irma. Island was under mandatory evacuation.

Owner has refused to answer my many emails about refund. In the one email I received he promised to keep me informed. Owner has chosen to just ignore all emails.

Is this normal for the area. I love Captiva and was willing to rebook but with no communication can't do that either. So frustrated

United States
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Irma Related Travel Questions

I guess you have probably re-read your contract with the owner to see if there is any mention of non-use from a mandatory evacuation? It does seem like the humane thing to do is to refund your money. If he could not provide the home for you, then he defaulted, in a way.

Personally, if it is not refunded, I would blast them on TA and whatever site you used to find the rental. Naturally don't do that until you know for sure there won't be a refund.

Good luck. Hope he comes through with a refund.

Chicago
Level Contributor
184 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Irma Related Travel Questions

Did you rent from an agency?? AMRC or Royal Shell? They should run interference for you.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Irma Related Travel Questions

Vrbo

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
756 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Irma Related Travel Questions

You can lodge a complaint with VRBO. I am a Realtor/Owner on Anna Maria Island. On Wednesday, Sept 6th, I had guests coming in, they rent from me several times a year. I called him on Monday, Sept. 4th at his Mother's house in Sebring, encouraging him to consider cancelling. He called me the next morning to say he was accepting my offer to cancel, and taking his Mother north with him to PA. I sent him a full refund in the afternoon mail. There is no excuse for retaining money when a hurricane forces a cancellation.

Reply to: Irma Related Travel Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Captiva Island