We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irma's effect on the beaches in Captiva

11 posts
Irma's effect on the beaches in Captiva

I saw a short FB video that the owner of YOLO posted and it looked like the beach by Mucky Duck was much narrower after Irma's wrath. Does anyone know if the beaches were decimated or was it just the camera angle? We're still going in November but I'm just wondering what we will find.

1. Re: Irma's effect on the beaches in Captiva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 September 2017, 10:35
Chicago
Level Contributor
185 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Irma's effect on the beaches in Captiva

I thought this was a space to help, find info, and guide others. I just don't understand the need to be so harsh? For those of us who love Captiva we are concerned, and the info is all about Tampa and Naples, We're just trying to find out about Sanibel and Captiva. Sometime (all the time) you should read how you responded and then hit the send button.

3. Re: Irma's effect on the beaches in Captiva

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Edited: 22 September 2017, 10:35
11 posts
4. Re: Irma's effect on the beaches in Captiva

I am completely sympathetic to the lives of the people who live or actually own homes in that area and certainly did not intend to imply anything different. My question was a simple one - how did the beaches fare? I realize that other storms may come. And, I hope that you and yours did not suffer any loss.

J I
4 posts
5. Re: Irma's effect on the beaches in Captiva

Agree with Cindy on this one. The site is called TRIP Advisor.....as in "if you're planning a trip you can get advice". Pretty much everyone understands that Irma caused the locals grief but my guess is most of them on Captiva depend on folks like Cindy.

United States
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Irma's effect on the beaches in Captiva

Cindy,

You did nothing wrong in asking your trip question. I've been to Captiva when it seems the beach has disappeared and although it seems weird, we do fine.

It also changes the drop off, sometimes for the worse, but it's still Captiva, and that's all good!!

Maybe someone who is there now will respond with a better answer.

7. Re: Irma's effect on the beaches in Captiva

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
471 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Irma's effect on the beaches in Captiva

This is not my idea of a "better answer". Clearly not representative of the spirit of TA.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
67 reviews
9. Re: Irma's effect on the beaches in Captiva

Mucky Ducks web cam is back up. Beach looks OK.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,038 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Irma's effect on the beaches in Captiva

Basically, nothign wrong with Cindy asking, BUT there is no point asking now. AS the beach can change daily, and will change with further storms (and there probably will be). So really asking now is sort of pointless.

So come back and ask in Oct.

Get answers to your questions about Captiva Island
Recent Conversations