We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tween Waters vs. South Seas

chicago
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tween Waters vs. South Seas

Hi,

I am booking a road trip through Florida after Christmas for our family of 5 (three boys 10,9,5). We will start in St. Augustine and stop in Orlando, Miami, Captiva, and Highland Hammock area/ or Crystal Springs. I am looking at two resorts, Tween Waters and South Seas for our Captiva leg of the trip. Can someone give me a feel for both? I know that tween waters includes breakfast and both seem to include some activities. Is one a better experience/value that the other? I visited South Seas as a child and really loved it but I know we will want to explore off the resort for meals (bubble room and mucky duck) as well as a possible day trip (maybe on the last day trip) to costa Cayo. Just for reference, we love Kiawah island and Rosemary beach, but also like the laid back experience while camping and hiking.

Thank you very much for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
South Seas Hotel
South Seas Hotel
1,653 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Kiawah Island
Kiawah Island
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Rosemary Beach
Rosemary Beach
419 Reviews
Rosemary Beach, FL
4 replies to this topic
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tween Waters vs. South Seas

Boy that is a tough one. Two great resorts.

Tween Waters -- Pros:Less expensive, consistent good quality accommodations, nice brand new pool, Crab races! Cons: Cross street from beach, long walk to Captiva Village restaurants and shopping.

South Seas -- Pros: Beach front units, Best pool complex on island, lots of kid friendly add ons ( candy store, video arcade, nature center), security of private resort, can walk to Captiva Village, Tuesday Farmers market. Cons: more expensive, inconsistent rental units ( can get dated Unit)

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
United States
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tween Waters vs. South Seas

I would choose Tween Waters because it is a better value, and crossing the street to the beach is absolutely no big deal. They have two restaurants on the premises. You are right there on the gulf too!

You may want to drive over to Sanibel one or more nights, or during the day to shop. It will make your trip much shorter by staying at Tween Waters.

You can't walk to the village from everywhere at South Seas, and not all rentals are on the beach. The resort is very spread out. Check the prices and go from there.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,493 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tween Waters vs. South Seas

I agree with the above- there isnt a problem sith SS at all- it is very nice. But it feels resorty, not islandy lol.

Plus i think TW is just as close a walk to the main part of Captiva and the restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
chicago
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tween Waters vs. South Seas

Thank you for your great replies. I think we are going to try Tween Waters. It seems a bit more economical and unique. I liked hearing that it has an islandy feel and appreciate the pro-s and con's. Thank you, again everyone!

Reply to: Tween Waters vs. South Seas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted