We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sundial, South Seas, and Red Algae

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky
11 posts
Save Topic
Sundial, South Seas, and Red Algae

I just made reservations today for Sundial the last week of July. I'm thinking of switching to South Seas though, and I've been reading the posts about the red algae being worse in Sanibel vs. Captiva.

My question is, is there a season for red algae? Is it more likely to occur winter and spring than in summer? Or is it just unpredictable?

Thanks in advance for your help!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sundial, South Seas, and Red Algae

Red drift algae is unpredictable, but gets worse when wave churning weather fronts move through. The wave action disturbs the bottom and rips loose the seaweedy type algae that then floats to the surface and forms rafts. These rafts - large tangles mats of algae - drift along the water and eventually, depending on wind and tide, wash ashore. Where and how much varies a great deal. For whatever reason the problem has been significantly less on Captiva. Sundial has been hit hard off and on due to its location.

Small deposits are common on many beaches, including those in Hawaii. South Seas has only had problems along the north beach on rare occasion. That might be algae from the bay side working its way through. Mostly, the beach up there is really nice.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sundial, South Seas, and Red Algae

I would like to offer my view that the Islands are round trip about 30 miles from Lighthouse to the tip of Captiva so getting around to different beaches is easy.

Since their are 30 miles of bike paths, jumping from one beach area to another is quick.

In addition I have posted some photos under my name on the left there in the form of a .mov slide show. They are photos of the beach today and Memorial Day weekend. The same beach, the Lighthouse Beach was the subject.

So you can see that in this case the algae wasn't there and then it came in again. However the visitors didn't seem to mind.

Kentucky
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sundial, South Seas, and Red Algae

Thank you Tourmaline and VisitSanibelCaptiva for your replies! I did some more reading and research and ended up switching from Sundial to 'Tween Waters. It sounds like a wonderful location! Doesn't hurt that we're spending $900 less on accommodations at 'Tween Waters either. Although at Sundial we had a much larger condo reserved, but we really don't need all that space.

Most of the bad reviews I read about with 'Tween Waters had to do with weddings. I check the live video cam they have online of the beach every day and it seems to be pretty much deserted this time of year. Looks great!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sundial, South Seas, and Red Algae

Lynn -

I think that's a good move for a beach lover. While the condos at Sundial are mostly big, spacious units, then can be uneven in their quality. And given the number of reports of the algae problems there - and believe me, I was seriously impressed by photos from guests - the seep with which it comes in is startling. It's having it sit there for a few days that's awful. I really like shelling on their beach - or I did pre-algae days and stayed at Sundial 5 or 6 times when I was first going down there. Once I started staying on Captiva, Sanibel felt to busy and crowded. LOL

Tween Waters has a wonderful location on Captiva - and a really good restaurant, Old Captiva House. I sometimes stay just north of Tweenie's and Jensen's and each afternoon I am treated to what I have come to call 'The Parade of Boats', as folks leave the marina and head home. The beach at Tweenie's is prime sunset viewing too! Captiva is quieter than Sanibel and reminds me a great deal of some of the islands in the Caribbean. Don't forget to poke around the village shops. Have get a piece of the Orange Crunch Cake at the Bubble Room. While I think their food is so-so and expensive, I do like their Moons Over Miami - homemade potato chips hot from the fryer and you can have topping or not. That and desert works for me!]

5. Re: Sundial, South Seas, and Red Algae

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 04:16