We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No-see-ums

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
No-see-ums

What do you apply to protect yourself and toddlers from these pesky little critters?

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: No-see-ums

You can try Skin so Soft on the skin and spray the clothing with a high DEET Off, like Deep Woods Off. I'd be a bit reluctant to spray a kidling directly. Stay in sunlight away from heavy greenery and avoid going out at dawn and dusk when they are most active. A good breeze keeps them away.

Unfortunately, some people - like ME - just always smell good and nothing really works well.

Some folks swear by a product called Swamp Juice. Don't know anything about it myself.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No-see-ums

Don't use hair spray and wear a cap of some sort. That sort of keeps them away from your scalp--one of their favorite spots to be pesky.

I've had good luck with Skin So Soft too, and have also tried dryer sheets with some luck. (Rub them on exposed skin). Don't forget your ears...they like them too.

Pray for wind. If conditions are right for them, they eventually drive us indoors despite our best laid plans.

Stratford...
Level Contributor
52 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No-see-ums

Does anyone happen to know when (what time of year) the little buggers (pun intended) ar ethe most active?

Info on October in particular would be helpful! :o}

PS... thanks again for everyone's great advice!!!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: No-see-ums

They can be bad in October as it is usually rainy season yet. As always, there are fewer when you're away from heavy landscaping and the mangrove areas.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No-see-ums

Wear unscented deoderant. The only place I got bit was my armpits. Figured out it was the scented deoderant.

Don't use any scented lotions, hairspray, strong smelling shampoo, conditioners.

I do use a product with Deet in it on my kids. We use Off Deep Woods. It is the only time I will ever use a deet product on them. It works. I spray arms, legs and clothing anytime we are leaving the house in the evening. If you spray the collar of their clothes, it seems to keep them away from their heads and face. When we come back in for the evening, I make them shower it off.

6. Re: No-see-ums

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 21:19