We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captiva & SSR Questions

Long Island, NY
7 posts
Save Topic
Captiva & SSR Questions

We are traveling to South Seas Resort later this month. Two families are traveling together with 4 adults & 4 kids. From what I've read, we figure we need to stop en route from the airport (Ft. Myers) at a supermarket. We are also thinking we should stop to purchase any sand toys for the kids as well. Is there somewhere along the way where we could stop and hit a supermarket and Target/Wal-Mart type of store at the same time???

Also, does anyone know if the hotel supplies towels for the beach or do we need to bring our own? What about pool floats?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Captiva & SSR Questions

If you are a resort guest, as opposed to renting thru and owner or agency or in a timeshare, they supply beach towels. I don't believe they allow toys in the main pool complex, but they might allow things like the inflatable arm bands on kids. No floats - no room for them.

There's a Wal-Mart on the left as you come in on Six Mile Cypress Dr just before you hit the Rt 41 intersection. It's a bit of a blind turn as it's along a curve, but if you stay to the left after you pass the building with the big orange on top [Sun Harvest Citrus] at the railroad tracks, just stay to the left. There will be a big home store to the right by Wal-Mart [I can't recall if it's Lowes or Home Deport] It has everything, including food. There is also a Publix supermarket just before the causeway again on the left side of the road. On Sanibel there are 2 supermarkets, Bailey's and Jerry's. Jerry's is larger and has more selection and the best deli. Bailey's has a better in store bakery.

There are no supermarkets on Captiva, but there are a couple of places both within SSR and in the village area for deli and ice cream and Captiva Island Store has a nice selection of wines. It closes early off season. There is also a pool toy place right in the village on Captiva Drive one the left as you head to the SSR entrance.

DO NOT BUY FROZEN FOOD before reaching Sanibel. It's just too far to SSR and even longer getting checked in, over an hour or more in total. If you have good chilled ice chest, you can get cold cuts and salads and stuff, but I'd be very, very careful. I'd stick with non-perishables. You might want to buy bottled water for tea, coffee and drinking. The tap water is perfectly safe but has a strange taste.

2. Re: Captiva & SSR Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Captiva Island