We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captiva/Sanibel area for 2 adults Feb 2008

Northants
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Captiva/Sanibel area for 2 adults Feb 2008

Looking for somewhere fairly small for 2 adults beginning of Feb 2008, Captiva/Sanibel area. Preferably somewhere not family orientated, either a hotel or small villa - not too busy - not bothered about lots of amenities - just somewhere special to chill out and enjoy good food and comfort.

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captiva/Sanibel area for 2 adults Feb 2008

We just returned from 5 days at South Seas resort and it was fantastic. Would highly reccomend for a laidback vacation. I did see on the highway a place called Jensen's by the Sea that looked very nice also - from the street it looked like a grouping of condos but its right on the beach.

If you want food though within walking distance South Seas may be a better choice. Have a wonderful trip! we loved it.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Captiva/Sanibel area for 2 adults Feb 2008

First - families are not that common on the islands in January as the schools are all in session then. You will find some with small children, just not that many off of the resorts where there are decent facilities for them. On Captiva, that's mostly SOuth Seas and Tween Waters Inn - and they are the only 'hotels' per se on the island. Yes, families do rent houses and condos, just not in large numbers in Jan. Third week of Feb and ALL of March into about mid-April are prime family times and then June, July and the first half of August.

If you don't want a pool [and remember January can be chilly on the islands and the Gulf will be running in the high 60'sF to maybe 70F so it too will be cold - for me anyway] and self catering units are good for you, then take a look at Jensen's on the Gulf. These are nicely redone units, only 3 of which might e considered condos and the rest free-standing units. The condos actually have some of the very best views. Outstanding sunset views over the Gulf. Beachfront and walking distance to everything in the village area. on the web at www.jensen-captiva.com

A place with a pool and a fab view of the bay is Hide-aways condos. Only 8 units and walking distance to the beach and all restaurants. These are two bedroom units, as most condos are, and again selg catering. There is on-site managers that maintain the property and pool and they also share a dock with Tropical next door, but the pool is exclusively theirs. I can recommend unit 1B as I have rented that in the past and it is lovely. Very quiet spot and not family oriented, though not exclusively adult. You'll see lots of boats and wildlife and dolphin at this location and you're about 400 meters to the beach. on the web at www.captiva-island.com and then click on Captiva Map at the bottom of the page. It's an interactive map and by clicking on the property you'll pop it's page.

Next door to Hide-aways are Tropical cottages. These are small and basic and intensely popular with their lower prices. Next to them is Bayhouse. It has a large private spa and killer bay views - though it does share the bar-b-que grills with Tropical, that's about it. No pool at either location. These units are mostly available thru the same site as Hide-aways and one unit At Tropical [also known as Nani Lani] is available thru RoyalShell at www.royalshell.com

There is a very pretty beach house available from VIP called SUnset Too. Just 2 bedrooms it sits on the beach in the village area. Nicely done and worth a good look. No pool but has a beach and sunset view. vip-vacationrentals.com/rns/…

The VIP site can be hard to use, so I provided the direct link to the property page above. They only have a few units on Captiva and this is the only one with a view that isn't too large.

Royal Shell, ResortQuest and AmRC [captiva-island.com] have the largest inventories of units on the islands. I've not used Royal SHell, but I have used the other two and like them both, though I do try and use AmRC when I can. They have a number of nice cottage style units in the village area mostly with 3 bedrooms or more, but a duplex called Beach Bliss and Bay Bliss might interest you. It isn't on the water, but is just a short walk down a private lane to the beach. Each side of the house has a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment each with a small dipping pool and quiet garden views. Very well priced and discounts are sometimes available. Ultra modern decor.

Also small are Casa SHandria [Royal Shell], Rick's Retreat [no pool Royal Shell], Beach Bum [very near a busy area so noise might be a factor - AmRC], Beach Daisy [On the beach, no pool, VERY modest at AmRC], Starfish duplex [simple and basic with no pool - AmRC], and the condos at Captiva SHores - though the ones with a beach view do sit on the road and have that noise [most listed with AmRC and Royal SHell].

Take a look and see what you think and let me know. Sunset Too only has two open weeks in January, so you might want to start there.

Northants
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captiva/Sanibel area for 2 adults Feb 2008

wow, thank you Tourmaline for so much help

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captiva/Sanibel area for 2 adults Feb 2008

GULF BREEZE COTTAGES would be perfect!

or a Sandalfoot Condo for two, Gulf Front!

or if you really like to be ALONE Tropical Winds Motel and Cottages.

CHEAP go to Anchor Inn and Cottages they are nice people and their rooms are clean and economical ask for Dianne.

Beach Road Villas has great little accommodations, only four units.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Captiva/Sanibel area for 2 adults Feb 2008

unfortunately, all of those properties are on Sanibel and not near restaurants and shops as in Captiva Village. Sanibel has many nice cottages and I believe Parrot's Nest on the east end is adults only.

6. Re: Captiva/Sanibel area for 2 adults Feb 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 23:20