We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We have stayed on Sanibel many times and enjoyed every minute. I finally convinced my husband to stay on Captiva since we drove to the island every night to watch the sunset. We saw a beautiful sunset every night during our stay on Captiva.

I waited several weeks upon returning home to write on this forum hoping to have a different perspective on our accommodations. The passing of time has not changed my feelings. I made a big mistake with my choice! Jensen’s On The Gulf was a total disappointment. I knew going in that it was not a resort with various amenities. The pictures on the web site and brochure are very deceiving. The bathroom was filthy so I made a trip for cleaning supplies. Air conditioning consisted of a window unit. The property was listed as non smoking. We could not sit on our deck since the people below us smoked continuously along with listening to their foul language. You could not plug more than two appliances in at a time or you would blow a fuse. I chose Jensen’s because it was described as very quiet. You could hear the people next to and below you talking in a normal voice tone along with children yelling and televisions blaring. This is what $2,100 got you for seven nights. We have stayed in magnificent two bedroom beach front condominiums at Pointe Santo for less. If you are wondering why we stayed it was the week of July 4th.

Decided we would try restaurants we had not dined at on Captiva. Mad Hatter & Old Captiva House well there are no words other than delicious food & great service. We can’t wait to go back to both restaurants next visit. Key Lime Bistro served a good breakfast but we were not impressed with dinner. R.C. Otter’s breakfast and lunch would not recommend. What would a trip to Captiva be without dining at the Mucky Duck the food is not great but the window seats at sunset are. My meal at Greenflash was very good but my husband did not enjoy his. We had to go to Amy’s Over Easy Café twice for breakfast; our every morning ritual when staying on Sanibel. My husband enjoys Timber’s and it was good as usual. The orange cake from Mermaid Kitchen and the Bubble Room is always delicious. We did miss some of our old favorites this trip.

We will stay on Captiva again and are checking on South Sea’s beach villas. This fall we will be back at Pointe Santo. The E building is our favorite.

We did have good flights, good weather, good food, good sunsets, and good shelling. As you can tell it was a good trip! I wish I could say good accommodations but there is nothing good about Jensen's On The Gulf.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Did you tell the Jensen's they were smoking? They're usually pretty strict about that anywhere on their property. I know what you mean about hearing things you'd just as soon not. I had a neighbor like. Jeeze. The condition of the bathroom is inexcusable.

So glad you liked Old Captiva House and Mad Hatter. I think they're the best two on the islands.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

I am really sorry about your rental. There are a lot of very nice private homes for that price range and size in July in the village. It sounds as if you made the best of your trip despite the condition of your rental and it's surroundings. Hope the good shelling made up for it!

3. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 16:16