We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation home rental for April 2010

ottawa, canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Vacation home rental for April 2010

Hi,

We are travelling to Captiva Island for the first time in April 2010. We are looking to rent a vacation home for a 2 week period from April 17th to May 1st for my family and my inlaws - in total we are 6 adults (3 couples) plus a 3 year old and a 2 month old infant. Since it is the shoulder season, we are hoping to find something for about $2500 per week.

I have spent some time reading home reviews on this forum and have spoken to AMC and Royal Shell about availability. We are quite interested in Casa Shandria or Tarpon Tales but I noted the comment that Casa Shandria is a bit on the small side.

Can anyone recommend the most ideal property for our large group? AMC told me that Escapade and Captiva Villa are larger properties - comments on those?

One other question - my inlaws love to suntan by the pool but I noticed in the photos that a lot of the pools appear to be enclosed in glass. Do they still offer sun exposure?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation home rental for April 2010

Hi MCR09,

Easy question first! The covered pools are not glass enclosed, they are SCREENED pools. The pool cages are meant to keep the wildlife and foilage out of the pool, yet allow the sun and gulf breeze to flow through.

Finding a private home with a private pool even during off season for 8 people (yes, children count towards the occupancy limit) for $2500 will be a little tough. At that price point there are not many to choose from, If you find a home you like, I would reserve it ASAP.

If you decide to rent a home with a shared pool or community pool, there are many more options.

Most owners offer a discount for the second week of stay, so be sure to ask if it isn't mentioned to you.

I just stayed in Casa Shandria, see my review below. I am not sure where you heard it was small? Did I say that somewhere!? We loved it for all the reasons mentioned in my review. The bedrooms are king, king, 2 twins and a pull out sofa. Of those you have mentioned above, it the closest to the beach. I have rented quite a few homes on the Island and you really get a wonderful home for the money.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34481-i768-k29846…

Tarpon Tales is another really great choice. They are putting on an addition this winter, making it even better than it already is! Beach access is just down the street.

Captiva Villa is a really nice home on Laika Lane in the village. The pool is much smaller than the above two properties. Of those you mentioned this is the only home actually in the village area.

Escapade has easy quick beach access. The only downside is that the home is easily visable from Captiva Drive, the main road in Captiva and in my opinion, not very private. (by the way, Escapade is coming up at $7814 for your two week period)

Take a look at Millertime Villa through Royal Shell. The outdoor space is fantastic with a huge pool. The beach access is very close. Here's my report from our stay in Millertime:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34481-i768-k21278…

Martha's Galde is a very private home on the bay, it's at the beginning of the Island and has very reasonable rates. The pool is huge and you have bay access:

http://www.marthasgladecaptiva.com/index.html

Sun & Moon House is in the village and gets great reviews:

www.captivavacation.com/sunandmoon.html

Also even though it is slightly above your budget, look at Villa Elena. It is a very private home located on a narrow stretch of the Island. Lots of space to hang out in. We LOVE this place and have stayed here twice. If I was going to be on the Island for two weeks, this would be my top choice. Really a home you can easily get comfortable in.

http://www.captivahome4rent.com/villaelena/

You can see additional information on the link for Casa Shandria, same owner. I booked through Royal Shell though, the rates were lower than the owner had advertised on his website. And Royal Shell had updated photos of the new baths at Casa Shandria.

If you have any other questions, please ask!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation home rental for April 2010

Wow, Bean. Just wanted to compliment your fantastic answer.

ottawa, canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation home rental for April 2010

Thanks so much, Bean. This is so comprehensive and gives us some great leads. I'm going to ask my in-laws what their preference would be among these properties you've mentioned.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation home rental for April 2010

You are very welcome! Please ask any other questions you have so that we can help you to narrow it down.

And thanks Sunny! I appreciate the props!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation home rental for April 2010

Just want to add another note of appreciation, Bean. You have provided a tremendously valuable guide that I will also put to good use.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation home rental for April 2010

Oh geez, thanks! Good to know someone is reading this quiet little forum!

7. Re: Vacation home rental for April 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2010, 07:23
Get answers to your questions about Captiva Island