We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Seas picking a room

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Tahoe
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
South Seas picking a room

I need help with room selection. The resort & beaches is what drew me to the South Seas Resort. It’s just my husband and I going. I doubt we would do any major cooking but snacks would be nice in the room. It’s only for 4 nights and we fly in from West Coast so the first night we won’t even get there until 10 p.m. I absolutely want a water view from our room. Should I go with the Harbor view point and just go with a hotel style room for $179 per night or splurge on the 1 bedroom beachside villa for $279.00? Does anyone know how long a walk it would be to the beach from the Harborside. It’s really hard to tell on their resort map. I don’t want to cheap out but also a full kitchen for us may be over-kill. If the beachside villa location is to die for well than it would be worth the extra money. Thanks for your input.

Ft Myers
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Seas picking a room

All the way from Lake Tahoe? Then spend the extra money for the beachfront condo. I used to own one of the one bedroom units in bldg 2100. Make sure the room is in the 2000 (best choice) or 2100 blgs as they are quiter and closer to the beach than any other Beach Villa in the larger 2200 to 2600 bldgs..

However, the walk from Harborside to the beach is no more than 5 -6 minutes should you opt for this choice.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Seas picking a room

I personally would choose the Harborside water view room - great views of the sound, close to the pool complex ( tho since you're traveling without kids, might not be an attraction), the gulf is a short walk. You can easily rent bikes or a golf cart, or take the tram to get around the resort.

You don't say when you're going - but almost 300 a night seems high to me, if it is not between Feb and April.

Lake Tahoe
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: South Seas picking a room

thank you both for your responses. It's still snowing here - summer doesn't want to arrive.

We are going 10/22. both my husband and I work in the hospitality industry and he runs a resort on Lake Tahoe - so we can't go until our season is over. I was trying to decide about booking directly with the resort as opposed to VRBO for the Beach Villa. i.e. weighing have use of the resort restaurants, etc. the use of the pool isn't a big deal to us.

And we are dividing the trip between Captiva and then either Naples or Marco Island for the other 4 nights.

Missouri
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: South Seas picking a room

You might want to check on some of the private beach-front houses. They generally only rent by the week but sometimes they would rather rent for partial weeks rather than have them sit empty. It never hurts to ask. October is still off-season so you might get a good rate.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
688 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Seas picking a room

We were just there in April. If you want to use all the resort amenities you must rent through the resort. When we were there we saw some unhappy people who rented privately and were not able to use allot of things. The resort has a no cash policy. You are given cards that you swipe when eating or purchasing anything. If you don't have that card, you are out of luck. I would stay at the Harborview rooms, I think they are more updated then the Beach Villas. It is an easy walk to the beach, maybe 5 minutes.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: South Seas picking a room

The beach villas at SSR

were completely rebuilt after

Hurricane Charley, I was at SSR in

February, and I have stayed in every

accomodation the resort has to offer,

from tennis villas to bayside villas and

beach villas to a beach home. SSR will

satisfy you, should you dislike your

accomodation, ask to be moved, the

resort aims to please its guests.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Seas picking a room

We will be in Captiva same time as the original poster.... maybe same flight. We arrive late on October 22 coming from norcal via American. We had a similar question about suggested rooms and these responses have been so helpful.

We also wanted to see if we need a car if it is only for airport xfr. Really want to lounge and relax(mid 30s with no kids).. Eventually we are headed to Marco and will get a car. Just wanted to know if we needed one for our 4 night captiva stay at SSR.

Thanks in advance for replies.

8. Re: South Seas picking a room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 07:18