We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Erosion - how severe is it?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Beach Erosion - how severe is it?

We visit Captiva ever summer. What beach conditions should we expect this year? Last year a storm blew through the night we arrived, wiping out a good potion of the beach in front of our building, including a few turtle nests. We had about a 3-4 ft ledge to navigate in order to reach the surf. From the limited news video I've watched, the erosion looks much worse after Debby.

We love to walk the beach, shell, and just chill in a beach chair while the sun is setting. We love to listen to music and take in the view with a cold drink while waiting for dinner seating at the Duck.

Break it to me gently, or not. What's left of the beach we love so dearly?

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
1. Re: Beach Erosion - how severe is it?

I'd sign "Break it To me Gently" but this should help you more than me singing. LOL

nbc-2.com/story/18908252/captiva-beach-washe…

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Beach Erosion - how severe is it?

I'm here now, come, enjoy the beach!

We came in the day after Debby left and the weather has been nothing but gorgeous! No rain, no clouds, just beautiful sunshine!

From our beach entrance there is no drop off or cliff, we are South of the Mucky Duck. At high tide, the beach area is maybe 20 feet to the surfs edge. When the surf goes back out, there is a lot more shore to enjoy. There are some tidal pools, like the one shown on the video, but nothing treacherous at all, some places only about 8 inches deep. There is plenty of room for everyone to enjoy the beach.

There are a few round areas on the beach that my kids are calling sweet spots, they are the space between the sand bars leading up to the beach. The "sweet spots" are filled with shells. Literally, one shell after the other rolling up at low tide. This has been one of our best shelling years ever!

It was rather shocking when we first saw how high the tide came up, I've never seen it like that.

On a great note, the water is crystal clear with that coke bottle green tint, you can see straight down to your feet!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
3. Re: Beach Erosion - how severe is it?

Those tidal pools can be real treasure troves after a storm. They did a beach renourishment on Captiva about 10-15 years ago. Guess they might have to consider it again.

Have you tried shelling at Blind Pass down on the pass side of the rocks? I always had great luck in there.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
29 posts
4. Re: Beach Erosion - how severe is it?

We're right at the Mucky Duck and there's a trench that runs the length of the beach except for spots where the water runs in and out with the tide. At high tide the trench and sand bars beyond are all covered so if you aren't expecting it when you walk out from the beach you'll get a wet surprise!

At high tide, a lot of areas only have about ten feet of beach which makes for interesting walking when a family parks their "stuff" from sea oats to surf.

That said, it's beautiful and we're having a great time! I notice families with young kids are really enjoying the trenches --they're in a self-contained area that isn't deep or in any way treacherous. There's quite a bit of seaweed, but if I want pristine swimming conditions I'll just stay in the pool.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Beach Erosion - how severe is it?

Thank you all for the updates! It would be really difficult to have a BAD time on the beach, but I was getting a little nervous after watching a few news clips. I'm really looking forward to some shelling, and will check out those "sweet spots"! Just a few more days now...

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Beach Erosion - how severe is it?

Tour, we are quite lazy this year, we've only shelled on our little portion of Captiva Beach. Tons of tulips, conchs, olives, alphabet cones, florida cones, huge jingle shells and nutmegs! Wish you were here, you would love it!

7. Re: Beach Erosion - how severe is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Captiva Island
Recent Conversations