We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling on Captiva?

Louisville
Level Contributor
421 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling on Captiva?

Am heading down Sunday for an 8 day stay at SSR with wife and 2 12 year olds. I am an avid snorkeler, having gone many times in the Caribbean and Red Seas. We have not yet planned out our trip to Captiva, am thinking about doing a shelling cruise to an out island and also a kayak tour somewhere, but wanted to know if it is worth it to bring my snorkel gear down? Is snorkeling in the area really good, or is it just one of those things that you can do there, but is not particularly great (like I found in Costa Rica, Pacific side)? In other words, if I am used to pretty cool snorkeling in places like USVI and Jamaica, will I be disappointed in snorkeling in Captiva? I am thinking it is not worth hauling my gear down, and if I decide to go maybe just rent?

dad
St. Louis
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling on Captiva?

More like something to do there than great snorkling.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling on Captiva?

Yes, you will be disappointed if your comparison is the Caribbean.

Chicago
Level Contributor
202 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling on Captiva?

As you probably know, the reefs are down by the Keys, so there isn't a heck of a lot to look at in Captiva except sand.

Now...if you want to use your snorkeling gear to look for great shells that haven't washed up to the beach yet, that's a totally different (and worthwhile) story! :)

Enjoy your trip!

4. Re: Snorkeling on Captiva?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 January 2013, 15:35
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling on Captiva?

Nice try, "Richard R", but you will need to do a better job covering your attempts at promoting your business. Brand new member and you write two stellar reviews of the same company on two forum topics? Hmmm...

Maine
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling on Captiva?

We don't bother bringing snorkling equipment to Captiva. On the Sound side, you may see rays, dolphins, manatees, but there are not a lot of exotic fish. To answer your question: you will be disappointed.

On the other hand, we have seen fantaxtic migrations of birds on the beach in the preserve, but there seems to be some shifting of sands there and the birds were nowhere to be found on our last visit.

7. Re: Snorkeling on Captiva?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2014, 06:17