We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would you stay?

New Jersey
6 posts
Save Topic
Where would you stay?

So this is our second visit to Captiva. The first time we went over Thanksgiving break a couple years ago and rented one of the houses in Sunset Captiva and loved it! This time we are doing a quick little trip after our Disney vacation and staying for 2 nights at the end of September. I guess our options are either South Seas or Tween Waters (most of the houses I found were weekly rentals only). There are 4 of us traveling (me, hubby, my cousin, and my son, who is 3).

So, where would you stay? I seriously think we’d be happy either place, which makes it a harder decision for me. I really worry about the distance to “town” from both. We got spoiled at Sunset captiva, it was such a short walk to everything and we loved the house. We don’t need any real activities or kids programs. We are only there for one full day (and 2 partial days) so we will be happy to just lay on the beach, but want to be able to easily go downtown for meals. Is SSR just too far from everything? I guess it depends on what section you stay in. There seem to be so many options with SSR and I like that we can get a 2 bedroom suite so my cousin can have some space. Anyone know where the trolley goes and does it make it easy to get to town?

Thank you!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would you stay?

I'd stay at Tweenies. Less hassle and exactly 1 mile to Andy Rosse Lane (I clocked it, so it's +/1 a0.1 miles correct) It's just an easier to manage stay and overall better location with less hassle for a short trip.

While some houses are 'flexible', that is they will rent for less than 1 week, not many would allow just 2 nights.

You might also ask at Twin Palms, the modest Jensen place right in the village. Very clean, simple, comfortable cottages, but I don't know if there's 3 nite min. Great bayside location and just walk thru Sunset Captiva or down ANdy Rosse to the beach No pool or restaurants, but for 2 nites, who cares. If you want beach services, then stick with Tweenies.

http://www.gocaptiva.com/marina-accom.htm

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where would you stay?

I make a trip to Sanible/Captiva once a year at the end of October. Tween Waters has a great Halloween party, however, I don't stay there.

I usually stay at the beach vew cottages, it is actually in Sanibel, not captiva but its a short ride. We usually rent a scooter or bikes and take the ride to the Mucky Duck every night to enjoy the sunset (and a cocktail)

www.beachviewcottages.com

Missouri
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would you stay?

It doesn't hurt to call the rental agencies to ask if they will rent one of the smaller houses for a couple of nights. If they are open for the dates you're looking for they might. If not I would stay at Tween Waters. It's not a bad walk by beach.

New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where would you stay?

Thanks for the replies. I did contact AMRC (who we rented from last time) and they only do weekly rentals except for a couple cottages that only let you have 3 people and have 3 night minimums. I just emailed a few places on vrbo but if they don't work out, I think we'll go with Tween Waters. (Also checked out the Jensens place and they also have a 3 night minimum). Can't wait to come back for a full week so we can have more choices!!

New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where would you stay?

Ok another question....

I did find a condo that would rent for 2 nights through royal shell. It is a beach villa in south seas. The rental rate is pretty good (will save about $150 from the rate I pulled up at tweenies). Does anyone have more info on these units? How far the walk would be to town from these? I was also quoted the $75/person/day but I assume I have the option of not paying this and just not have access to the pools? Anything else that I would be missing out on by nothing paying the extra fee? Again, we are only there for 2 nights, so def not a big deal if we don't have a pool.

Thank you!

Miami
Level Contributor
162 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where would you stay?

I don't know much about South Seas, but I thought of another place that might work-Jensen's on the Gulf side. Don' t they have nightly rentals? I think the website is at www.gocaptiva.com. If you love Sunset Captiva (I do too!) this might be a nice variation; you are on the water, simple but well maintained accomodations and no requirement for a week's stay.

Missouri
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where would you stay?

Its a pretty short walk from the Beach Villas to the village. Around 5 - 6 blocks by street or around 500 yards by beach.

Edited: 31 August 2012, 14:12
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where would you stay?

The beach villas are quite small, but at the southern most end of the resort closest to the village and furthest from the resort's main pool and rec area - about a mile and half from your condo to the bayside pool area, so skipping it would be a good idea. The village, via a paved route is about 0.5 mile because of the indirect walking you'll do to get from the condos (Depending on which building you're in) to the front of the resort. Not sure where the resort trolley stops are, but I doubt they'd save you much. Shorter along the beach. Remember - it will be tough walking either way, so have flashlights and make sure you have the red filters on them as required during turtle season.

Yes, that resort fee is optional. The beach Villas have their own pools. Be SURE your building has an elevator. Not all do.

Closest to you in the village would be Chadwick Square and for food, Holy Smoke Barbecue. By beach, Mucky Duck - and on the upside, judging by the beach cam there, at least the trench of stinky water is gone, but the beach remains VERY narrow.

9. Re: Where would you stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Captiva Island