We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aloha Baby

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mid-Atlantic
Level Contributor
314 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Aloha Baby

Has anyone stayed at Aloha Baby?

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aloha Baby

no, where is it?

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aloha Baby

Aloha Baby is a gorgeous luxury gulf front property along the skinny stretch of Captiva Drive. Haven't stayed there but would LOVE too!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aloha Baby

I'm with Bean. Just be aware, you do cross the street to the beach.

And if you want to use the golf cart option, ask if it has headlights. Without, they are limited to day use only. They are also restricted to certain areas of Captiva and a 'street' legal cart has seat belts and is fully insured. Must be operated by an insured driver and cannot exceed 20 MPH. Use between certain hours has age restriction. The insurance might add restrictions.

All that said, that's actually a very good price for golf cart AND bike rental. ANd it's a fun and easy way around the village area.

Missouri
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aloha Baby

I'm pretty sure that golf carts are not allowed on the road south of the curve by Jensens on the Gulf.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aloha Baby

Street legal golfcarts are now allowed on county roads on Captiva, IF they are licensed and insured and has the proper safety equipment, including headlights and seatbelts. The driver MUST have a regular license and follow the age limits on hours of operation (in some cases having 21 yr + driver between certain hours).

If the cart is NOT street legal - that is unlicensed and/or not fully insured, no headlights, seatbelts, etc, it can be operated ONLY in the village area and on South Seas only. NO GOLF CARTS CAN BE OPERATED ON ANY BEACH.

The Aloha Baby cart is advertised as 'street legal' and can therefore be operated on the full length of Captiva Rd. Whether it can cross Blind Pass onto Sanibel, I don't know, but I do know they can only be driven on COUNTY roads where the speed limit is 35MPH or less, which means NOT San-Cap Rd where it hit 40MPH.

There is a large price difference between a 'street legal' and ordinary golf cart.

This is a rule change about 2 years now from what I can tell, and I honestly don't know how many 'street legal' golf carts are around.

I did find this ruling:

"As with motor vehicles, low speed vehicles are subject to a license tax, which is the same as that prescribed in Florida Statute s. 320.08- for non-electrically powered vehicles.

There are several features required for LSV and NEV electric vehicles or street legal golf carts in Florida, including:

Stop lamps, turn signal lamps, headlamps, taillamps, parking brakes

Rearview mirrors, reflex reflectors, windshields, seat belts, and VIN's

Must be registered and insured in accordance with current regulations (s. 320.02)

The drivers of low speed vehicles must have valid driver’s licenses"

Now any town or municipality can ban them, but since Captiva is unincorporated, they would come under Lee County rules. Sanibel, as an incorporated city, can choose to ban them and I do NOT know what their position is on the matter.

A street legal golf cart is obviously NOT an ordinary golf cart, but kind of like a cross between golf cart and open electrical car. They even refer to them as 'low speed electrical vehicle'.

I had to do some digging to learn all this. :-) The rules they are a-changing.

Edited: 06 December 2012, 22:36
Mid-Atlantic
Level Contributor
314 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aloha Baby

Thanks for all the input. Can't wait to go: )

Ranger
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aloha Baby

My extended family of 9 people and I rented Aloha Baby for the week of October 5th through the 12th, 2013. The cost was $5,050.00 and THAT'S during the off season. I was disappointed that it wasn't on the beach, its across the street from the beach, but if you use their stroller cart, you can easily push it with your beach chairs and bags, etc. to the walkway leading to the beach. The house is absolutely stunning at first arrival, but then you realize all of the little things that are wrong with it. The a/c units on the right side of the house (facing front) have caused mildew on that side that has somehow leaked into the theatre area and the room where the pool table and air hockey table is located. It is so strong that you can barely watch a movie or play pool, etc. my daughter and I are highly allergic to mildew, so we stayed out of those areas. The pool is awesome, but the septic tank drain pipe is located near there and sometimes you can smell the methane gas coming from it, it smells horrible. My husband covered the pipe with a busted beach ball two days before we left to help with the odor. You can't sit on the patio furniture that is underneath the pavilion near the pool because the mildew odor is so extreme. It is everywhere in those cushions. I would always pull chairs out near the pool to get away from the mildew odor. The pool is 7 ft deep on one side, which I thought was great. The master bedroom and bathroom is awesome, but I can smell mildew everywhere in the house, its just not as strong on the second and third floors. The kitchen and LR is beautiful with lots of great amenities. They provide you with enough dishwasher detergent, trash bags and coffee filters for the entire week. They also provide lots of beach/pool towels, but you have to wash them and dry them as you are leaving. All if us had our own bedrooms and adjoining baths, but the children's bunk bed room doesn't have a tv, which I thought was odd and one of the guest bedrooms didn't have Infinity cable tv, you could only watch a DVD. The hot tub lights were out, so we couldnt enjoy it at night with a glass of wine and they cant change it out unless they drain it. The golf cart is great to use, but its another $500 to rent that and the bicycles for the week, so I wasn't willing to pay that. It's a great house to rent and we had plenty of room with my grown children and grandchildren, IF the mildew odors don't bother you.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aloha Baby

Ugh. Mildew would do me in too. The septic tank smell is unfortunate. I have been in a home rental where the septic smell was permeating through the home, fortunately for us, the rental company made a few calls and got it taken care of immediately.

On Captiva Island $5000 is not a bad price for a large gulf front home with a pool, even in off season. ( and yes, that is considered gulf front because there is no obstruction between the home and the beach )

Did you contact American Realty and address your concerns while you were there?

I'm sorry that the house did not live up to it's reputation, I hope you were able to otherwise enjoy your trip!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aloha Baby

Wow, I'm really surprised! My family (a group of 12) stayed at Aloha Baby in April of this year and it was beautiful, no mold issues ... that is so sad. What an awesome property. I tried to book it again but it is completely booked up. Maybe someone will read your post and cancel. Ha ha. I loved the golf cart, bikes and proximity to the beach. I hope they can clear up the mold issues.

10. Re: Aloha Baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 06:21