We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Captiva # 16, 19 or 24 ?

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Captiva # 16, 19 or 24 ?

We are planning a trip with our toddler and looking into these properties. Has anyone stayed in them that can comment on whether the home was updated, had any children's items, beach chairs/umbrellas/beach wagon or in general if they had a good experience or not? thank you!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Captiva # 16, 19 or 24 ?

Sorry, haven't stayed in any of the #'s you mentioned, but found a video walk through of #24. If you haven't seen it, here's the link:

http://vimeo.com/21860141

nyc
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Captiva # 16, 19 or 24 ?

Thank you bean3! I hadn't seen that. I appreciate the link!

Miami
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Captiva # 16, 19 or 24 ?

Though I've not stayed in any of those particular units, I can say that I think #16 has the best location. It's on the main lane, directly across from the pool/grill/clubhouse and marginally closer to the beach and boardwalk

I know from observation that #19 backs onto Andy Rosse Lane and the houses there. You may experience noise from neighboring rentals, that back up to 19, especially houses with pools in the backyard. I suspect 16 will be quieter since it's not on the perimeter of the property.

The video of 24 showing and recording that noisy downstairs vent would cause me concern. I've not had such a problem in the 3 SC units I've stayed in and I wouldn't like that. Also the master bedroom is awfully barren! Not even a tv up there? Odd.

Re. toys, beach equipment etc. I suggest you ask the rental agency. I usually do that and they have been pretty responsive in either checking the record or even asking one of the property managers/work staff to check and let you know as a follow up.

Have fun, Sunset Captiva is a very nice complex and I've been quite satisfied with all my stays there.

nyc
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Captiva # 16, 19 or 24 ?

thank you for these tips Miami Buccaneer! This helps us to understand the complex better as we havent been to Captiva before. We are also considering unit 28 based on what we've read here, but perhaps I'll talk with the rental co. before we decide.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Captiva # 16, 19 or 24 ?

Looks like # 16 had serious improvements done. Very nicely furnished. And it's near both pool and beach path. Good location.

You won't find many places in Captiva Sunset that are that nicely furnished. If any.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 05:44
Miami
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Captiva # 16, 19 or 24 ?

I stayed in #28 this summer, loved it! It was my favorite of the 3 units I've rented in SC (others were #17 and #33). I can confirm that it has plenty of toys, chairs, umbrellas etc.

And, #16 is one I have had my eye on for awhile too. Either might be a great choice.

Godalming, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Captiva # 16, 19 or 24 ?

We are currently in 39-and very happy-nicely furnished and very well equipped though perhaps the only downside is that there's no view from the lanai other than into #38! We've had a lovely week though and having been very disappointed by Sunset Breeze on Laika Lane with its own rather awful pool that my children wouldn't get into we are so so happy with the Community of Sunset Captiva!

Carmel, Indiana
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Captiva # 16, 19 or 24 ?

We have a family of five and just stayed at Sunset Captiva 24 over the fourth of July break. We have stayed on Captiva several times over the past ten years. If you've never been, you need to go. Once there, you'll see why "island time" is a common theme. The village on Andy Rosse is so quaint and safe that we feel comfortable with our children walking this area (in a group) without us being with them. Mucky Duck on the beach provided a great lunch spot for us daily. (Can't beat the chowder) For the price, it doesn't get much better than any of the units in Sunset Captiva. Unit 24 was very nicely furnished and very comfortable. Just a few negatives: 1.) I Can never understand why these older units don't upgrade their TV's to at least the early 2000's. Even though we're not there for the sitcoms and news, it would be nice to have a high def flat screen to look at every day vs. a 20" television from 1998 that operates from a tube. 2.) They need to fix the vent in the downstairs bedroom. It's like sleeping under a jet engine. We would not rent this unit again unless it was repaired. Those are my only two complaints. Our kids loved it. We actually had enough room to comfortably entertain another family friend of ours, who has a family of four, for one overnight stay. I wouldn't recommend you do this all week but my point is there was room for more than five. Units 6 and 7 are very nice and are on the beach. Seek out Royal Shell Rental units/sunset captiva. They are top notch and very knowledgeable about the best places to fit your wants. #6 and #7 rent for around $1,000 more than others not on the beach (ie: 24). But, if you want to be on the beach, it doesn't get better than the views from the balcony while being a pitching wedge from Captiva's beautiful, shell lined beach. We've already re-booked our Captiva trip for next year....Can't wait to be back on island time.

Miami
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset Captiva # 16, 19 or 24 ?

What a nice summary report! Sounds like you are another convert to Sunset Captiva. We'll be at Sunset Captiva #19 in a few weeks and will definitely post a trip report about it. This will be our 4th year in a row staying at SC, we also find it to be a perfect blend of easy beach/village access plus a beautiful peaceful complex plus a relative bargain price for a stand alone home on Captiva.

10. Re: Sunset Captiva # 16, 19 or 24 ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 06:19