We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Tide

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Red Tide

We'll be arriving on Captiva this weekend & just saw the Red Tide warnings. Can someone fill me in? Thanks!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Red Tide

For the first time in a week, all beaches from Sunset Point on Captiva to Estero Beach are reporting in today with no fish kills and no respiratory issues. This includes the spoil island along the Sanibel causeway. Very, VERY good news.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,914 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Red Tide

myfwc.com/media/2502480/SWtable0301.pdf

This report I looked for both Sat and Sun, it seems to have been posted late this week.

Shows improved conditions (at least as of Friday) on Sanibel and captiva but Useppa, Cayo Costa and others nearby still affected.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,511 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Red Tide

Ok Im gonna keep this short and sweet...read it dont read it however???

When the wind blows...Red Tide goes...been blowing 20 plus..

S.C

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Red Tide

Again today, all live reports on 3 beaches on Captiva, more on Sanibel and on down to Bonita Beach all report clear conditions, no dead fish, and no eye, or cough irritation. That's 5+ clear days, so it could be the red tide has become so spotty and small in area, it is no longer an issue. Let's hope this puts paid to the outbreak. Certain, as SC noted, the wind does break it up, as does the colder nights.

Edited: 06 March 2013, 17:56
Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Reply
25. Re: Red Tide

I'm behind in this thread, but had to laugh about the beaches being posted if there's a Red Tide. The thing is, cough cough cough, there's no need to post, you'll know, cough cough cough. Coughing and eye-stinging being the key indicators here, along with empty beaches and a lot of glum vacationers griping about it everywhere you go. We've been through a few red tides over the years, with the worst being when South Seas was doing beach 're-nourishment' one year, and dump trucks were running up and down the beach, day and night, which stirred up the karenia brevis (red tide) organisms in the sand and made them more airborne than usual. I have a video of our family sitting on the far side of our building, kerchiefs around our faces, making bad jokes about the situation. But you can't hear the jokes because mostly what you hear is coughing. So while it's deadly to the fish, and they do wash up on the beach and stink, it also affects the air quality and you'll definitely know it. By now you've had your time there, and I hope it was not too bad.

myrtle beach, sc
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Red Tide

We are going to North Captiva in June and taking my mother who has COPD and has to wear oxygen. Is it ok to bring her? Will it be over bythen?

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Red Tide

It's over now, but red tide is unpredictable, so there could be another outbreak.

Real time beach condition reports can be found here

http://coolgate.mote.org/beachconditions/

Often, there are none for North Captiva

Click on the very bottom blue box and there with 'bubbles' at locations where beach conditions have been reported in the 48 hours. The reports are day and date stamped.

You can also click the next to bottom box and pick up conditions on Charlotte County beaches. Sunset Beach on Captiva is at Redfish Pass, the water that separates Captiva from North Captiva and would be the most pertinent. On the current maps for Lee and Charlotte counties, I see no reports for North captiva or Cayo Costa. Even Gasprilla is blank.

It gets more active when there's an outbreak

Edited: 23 March 2013, 19:21
28. Re: Red Tide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Captiva Island