We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Captiva Area Questions.

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Captiva Area Questions.

Having never been to Captiva, have some questions.

1. Trying to narrow down a house, any info on any of these # 12, #13, #17,#18, #16, #19, #30, #31 ?

2.Is the community pool area loud at night? Hours open ?

3. Is Sunset captiva ln. a busy street for through traffic?

Were looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom fairly close to the pool and the beach, any other suggestions for the 1st week in may (4-11).We like the house's around the pool area on sunset captiva Ln. Any pro's or con's to these. Thanks

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Captiva Area Questions.

Sunset Captiva is a very nice area. Well kept up. Not the Four Seasons but if your staying in 1,3,4,5,6 these are the ones I have stayed, they are awesome for location, location, location on the beach. The pool is usually pretty tame at night along with the day. Its off the main road that runs thru Captiva but sounds like you will be far enough away if your in the lower numbered houses. I will be in #4 less than 3 weeks. Close walk to the beach.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Captiva Area Questions.

#16 is freshly remodeled. Nicely done and excellent price. Close to beach and pool. Active Community Association. Here's their website

www.sunsetcaptivahomeowners.com/index.html

Do email them any questions, but most pools close fairly early. The streets are all private, so only residents and guests you them. Probably the best buy on Captiva for a small house with those amenities. Very family friendly.

#1 to 7 are the beachfront units. The most expensive and have the best views. Chris, Have a WONDERFUL time!

If those aren't in the budget

Miami
Level Contributor
162 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Captiva Area Questions.

I've stayed in Sunset Captiva at units 17, 28 and 33. All are relatively close to the beach though not gulf front. Though it doesn't show all units, this link from AMRC gives you the general 'flow' of numbering:

www.captiva-island.com/amrc/capmap.html

NB-the numbers can 'wrap around' so for example, unit 28 is actually closer to the pool/clubhouse/beach than unit 22.

Especially for a family, I think SC is a fantastic option. Looks like unit 17 has been nicely updated since I stayed there so I'd definitely recommend it. Unit 28 was fantastic, with the most comfortable master bedroom mattress I've ever had on Sanibel/Captiva stays! Unit 33 is also very nice, it is now privately rented via VRBO so not sure about rates.

As far as noise, no worries. The main road is really a lane, and it truly is used only by renters/residents so it is very, very quiet. The clubhouse also has grills, tennis courts and a pool but again I've never noticed any noise whatsoever at night. People tend to use the pool a lot during the day and the grill is also a popular dinner option but once the sun goes down Sunset Captiva is quiet, calm and noise free. One major advantage is that because there is one community pool, you won't ever have to listen to neighboring houses in which folks are enjoying THEIR private pool early, late and at all times between. Given that Captiva lots are tight, that can be something of an irritant renting on the island but not at Sunset Captiva.

As far as getting to the beach, if you stay anywhere up to ~unit 39 you are literally 2 minutes or less from the ocean. There is a boardwalk leading from the clubhouse/pool area so easy to transport chairs, toys, kids etc. quickly and painlessly. There is also a nice shower to rinse off at the pool area which is a bonus when you're coming back salty and sandy.

Location is great too, just a block from Andy Rosse lane and an easy walk to restaurants, shops etc.

It's a very popular family destination and for well deserved reasons. The only negatives I can list are that the houses are all on stilts and they are 2 story. So you will be going up/down pretty frequently. With very young children there will need to be some caution with those stairs, inside especially. And if internet access is important, be sure to confirm the unit has it. Most do but a few do not, and I got caught on that with unit 17, which I notice now does have free WiFi.

Also, you should ask about what beach equipment is at the unit. Most, but again not all, have beach chairs, umbrellas, toys, swim noodles etc. Some don't though and it could be quite annoying to either have to rent or buy those items, or even schlep them if you are driving down.

Hope that helps.

Miami
Level Contributor
162 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Captiva Area Questions.

Following up on my own message-sorry, wrong URL in my note above. Here is the link for the AMRC map of Captiva incuding Sunset Captiva:

http://www.captiva-island.com/amrc/capmap.htm

5. Re: Sunset Captiva Area Questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 04:18