We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-July Visit - Beach/Water for Small Children

Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mid-July Visit - Beach/Water for Small Children

We are considering some properties around middle part of the island [near Andy Rosse Ln] and would like to know what the gulf water is like in that area. What we love [at this stage in our life with small children] is very clear, calm and shallow water. What my kids love the most is walking around with nets/goggles looking for crabs/fish/shells. Clear water is a must.

We've vacationed on AMI in the past, and love it, but want to try something new. Can anyone attest to what the water is like? Thanks in advance!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-July Visit - Beach/Water for Small Children

Captiva water tends to be see through and clear, but that would also depend upon the weather. If a storm rolls in prior to your arrival, the wind and rain can make the water less see through. The entire Island hasthe same type of beach entrance and slope with the exception of Blind Pass area. I would not let small kids swim there, rip currents can occur because of the pass.

The water is usually calm but it isn't very shallow on Captiva. It has a gradual slope, you really can't walk out far other than low tide. At low tide, you will have the shallow pools of water. I have a few water/beach photos of Captiva posted here on TA, click on my name to check them out!

The village area is a good location, you can walk to all of the shops and restaurants on the Island from there. Andy Rosse Lane tends to be more crowded than the other streets, though it is not a public beach access, this is the access for a lot of Island homes. I've been to AMI and the water on Captiva is clearer.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 23:56
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-July Visit - Beach/Water for Small Children

I interpret you are asking about the clarity of the water as well. Southwest Florida waters are murky due to the Mangroves that line our coast and the tannin from the pine trees inland. You won't find the clear blue caribbean waters off Captiva. Captiva beaches don't not have the multiple sandbars and extensive shallow waters. Never wanting the chase folks away, but Sanibel beaches are better for shelling.

Edited: 21 June 2013, 16:12
Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-July Visit - Beach/Water for Small Children

Thank you both for your response. It truly is helpful. While our children are small, the condition of the water is the most important thing for us. We realize that we probably only have one or two years left of searching for the calm, caribbean-like waters before they will want deeper waters with a little more waves. Captiva might be in our near future, but not sure if this year is the year. From all that we know about Siesta Key, that seems like the perfect beach for us, but I was really hoping to find THAT beach in the casual, low-key, island-type location of Captiva. Thanks again.

Missouri
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-July Visit - Beach/Water for Small Children

I wouldn't give up on Captiva just yet. No matter where you go on the gulf side of Florida, if there is a storm out in the gulf you have the chance for waves. We were down during the last tropical storm and the kids in our party (ages 3 - 10) were in the water every day except the day the storm came ashore.

5. Re: Mid-July Visit - Beach/Water for Small Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 05:17