We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf cart needed if staying at Captiva Breeze on Wightman

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dyersburg, Tennessee
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Golf cart needed if staying at Captiva Breeze on Wightman

We are staying at Captiva Breeze on WIghtman Lane, and will have a 3 year old and 2 infants under 8 months. Do you think a golf cart is a good idea or a waste of money? What areas are accessible by golf cart? We are getting excited about our first visit to Captiva Island!

Captiva
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf cart needed if staying at Captiva Breeze on Wightman

A golf cart can be driven on streets in the village center and can be helpful going to restaurants. However, the beach entrance at the end of Wightman has no parking rule for cars or carts. A double stroller may be of more practical use if the beach walk of 200 yards is the issue.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf cart needed if staying at Captiva Breeze on Wightman

Waste of money.

Captiva is very walkable, even with young kids. Just have to watch walking along Captiva Drive as it is very narrow. Yes, you can park at restaurants, but you are so close to the majority of them that driving, even a gulf cart would seem silly. If you are interested in renting a stroller for your stay you can have one delivered to your rental!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf cart needed if staying at Captiva Breeze on Wightman

I'd have to say golf carts are not the best idea for small children. There are no safety feature unless they're 'street legal' and they end up more expensive than renting a car. They're fun, handy, and perfect as an 'extra' when one person has the car and you'll be doing separate things, but that's about it.

That said, the walking paths can be rough on strollers and they are unsuited for sand, so you can only push the little ones so far when going to the beach. Remember, there are no 'public lands' on those lanes and if you push things into dune grasses you can get in trouble as most are federally protected plant life. It you park it on the side of the road, make sure you don't encroach on private land.

The beauty of staying in the village is the ease of access to the beach and restaurants. But 2 yo need lots of STUFF, so you will need something to help. Consider renting a beach wagon

islandrentalservices.net/cart/…

or

www.yolowatersports.com/rentals/trailers/

It might work a lot better than a strolled and be useful for hauling the kids around - or see the double beach stroller further down the page on the Island Rentals site and under baby jogger on the YOLO site - again, with wheels suitable for uneven ground. YOLO is IN Captiva Village, so call and talk to them.

Edited: 20 June 2013, 18:38
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf cart needed if staying at Captiva Breeze on Wightman

Mid Wigtman Lane to the Green Flash restaurant, the farther attraction in Captiva Village, is 1/2 a mile. So walking is pretty easy. Take some colored markers so the three year old can color bleached sea shells--they enjoy that. He/she will like the Manatees at at Jensen's dock. Don't forget beach shoes, the beach can be rough on the feet due to shells. The 8 month olds will just eat sand. :-O

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf cart needed if staying at Captiva Breeze on Wightman

"The 8 month olds will just eat sand."

heheheheheheheheh I was older when I decided to try one of the nightcrawlers in my Dad's worm box and walked in the house with the ends dangling out either side of my mouth. I understand my mom fainted. Dad laughed. Kids want to taste things .......... except green veggies.

Madison, Indiana
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf cart needed if staying at Captiva Breeze on Wightman

LOL Tourmaline...reminded me of a time when my older brothers convinced me when I was about 4 or 5 that the white liquid inside a dandelion stem was "milk"......NOT!

Dyersburg, Tennessee
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf cart needed if staying at Captiva Breeze on Wightman

Thanks so much for your advice. I called YOLO and they only have one available for a few days of our stay. We will use it for a few days and then we will know the pros and cons for the next visit. As far as the 8 month old goes, you are correct! She will definitely eat the sand and everything else she can get her hands on! Looking forward to a relaxing week!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf cart needed if staying at Captiva Breeze on Wightman

Island Rentals on Sanibel has a ton of baby equipment for rent and will deliver to your Captiva Rental. They service both Islands and have a great reputation for having clean, up to date baby items.

islandrentalservices.net/cart/…

9. Re: Golf cart needed if staying at Captiva Breeze on Wightman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 05:16