We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South seas amenity charge....... For all properties?

Teesside
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
South seas amenity charge....... For all properties?

Hi hoping you can help. Looking at renting a private condo on SSR via royal shell who have advised that we will not be able to use the facilities in the resort (other than pool and beach nearest the condo) unless we pay for an amenity package costing $75 per person per day........eek! As we are looking at staying for 11 nights that's more than the actual rental! Does anybody know if this is correct? In all reality we would only be looking to use the trolley bus, lounge on the beach and have a drink and meal at the marina bar and restaurant.

We have stayed at SSR about two years ago but I think that condo rental was directly with SSR and we paid the resort charge of approximately $18 each per day.

So I am trying to establish what is correct..... Royal shell also advised that the resort is under new management and I was wondering what impact, if any, this was having......apart from the huge amenity charge of course ;-)

Thanks so much for any help,you can offer.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South seas amenity charge....... For all properties?

Royal Shell is 1,000 percent correct.

And it's been that way for a very long time, nothing to do with new management. You won't even be able to ride the trolley let alone eat at one of the restaurants without paying that fee.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 23:52
Teesside
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: South seas amenity charge....... For all properties?

Thanks very much bean. Wow....... $150 per day for us both to use the trolley is excessive! We could get a chauffeur for that!! ;-)

So in terms of the beach how can SSR prevent you walking right along rather than containing you to right near the condo? And also are we able to take own loungers onto SSR beach as royal shell have suggested? I can't recall seeing anybody doing that last time we stayed

Thanks once again for your post........ Perhaps we will boycott SSR and stay in the village instead although we were concerned that this would be limiting as chopping off a lot of the island!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South seas amenity charge....... For all properties?

They don't contain you to the area right in front of your condo. You can go anywhere you want within the resort when staying there. You just can't access the amenities unless you've paid for them. I would assume the ridiculous fees when not renting through the resort are to encourage visitors to book thru the resort itself.

You can bring your own beach chairs and equipment, many people do. Some rentals may actually have them available for use.

As for staying in the village area of Captiva, I have never stayed within the resort and never felt as if I was missing anything. If you choose too, you can walk all the way up to Red Fish Pass along the beach. Andy Rosse Lane is where most of the shops and restaurants are. Many people that stay at the resort end up going into the village anyway.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: South seas amenity charge....... For all properties?

Been renting timeshares within SSR for the last 5 years.

Harbour View Villas, South Seas Club, Plantation House and the Cottages are time share rentals and all have the amenities included. Much cheaper than renting through resort and no cleaning, booking fees and taxes.

Go to: www.southseastimeshares.com and on left top click on: Classified Ads.

Before renting the timeshares we have stayed at the Beach View Villas closest to the resort entrance and rented through Royal Shell. No amenities included and did not purchase them.

We rented beach lounge chairs for the week but used them only one day since we were allowed to use SSR's lounges and umbrellas.

We have young grandkids who really enjoy the infinity pool at the point, get ice cream and pizza from the ice cream shop and we also love eating at the point restaurant for lunch or dinner on some days.

Complexes are within a short walk to the point but for Harbour View Villas which are closest to South Beach.

Hope this is of some help.

Teesside
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: South seas amenity charge....... For all properties?

Thanks for your further advice bean! This makes me feel a lot happier...... (how can I be unhappy when the decision involves the lovely Captiva?!) knowing that I can utilise all of the beach which was my main worry really.

The last time we stayed at SSR we did exactly as you said..... walked to the Mucky Duck along the beach to watch the sunset and enjoy a margarita (or two!) and then dinner in one of the village restaurants and then strolled back to SSR along the road under the moonlight!

Ahh..... its a heavenly place..... even if this won't involve the trolley bus this year! Thanks for your help.

Teesside
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: South seas amenity charge....... For all properties?

Thanks KittST. More really useful information - thats interesting that you managed to use the SSR loungers! We don't have any youngsters to keep entertained so the wonderful looking pool area at the north end doesn't have to feature in our plans but sanctuary on the beach is essential!

We're from the UK..... we were just looking up St Louis only this week as the golf Curtis Cup will be there in 2014 at the St Louis Country Club! It really is a small world.

Thank you so much for the advice - I will be sure to check that website out

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South seas amenity charge....... For all properties?

Definitely look at booking direct through the resort too. They run some really great specials during the year. the property really is beautiful and the amenity fee is much more in line with what it should be!

Teesside
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: South seas amenity charge....... For all properties?

hi Bean - unfortunately we have only been able to book late this time and there were no one bedroom condos left for the 11 days we needed - plenty of mid week availability but for the weekend in the middle of our holiday everything was sold out....... and obviously we didn't want to have to up sticks once we were settled and chilled out!

Yes we loved SSR when we stayed even if we didnt utilise much of the amenities. Even checking in at reception felt special with all the island feel music playing in the background!

So..... Friday night has arrived for me and the big task now is to get everything sorted by Sunday evening. Airport parking, one nights accommodation in Orlando when we arrive, Captiva accommodation, insurance etc etc etc on top of a heap of housework and work stuff.

Blimey I am so looking forward to this holiday - it will be well needed

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,204 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South seas amenity charge....... For all properties?

I have a suggestion for Orlando. Stay int he DTD area off excit 68 of the I4 (convenient to leave in the am).

You can walk to DTd for dinner, then bed.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: South seas amenity charge....... For all properties?

DTD= Downtown Disney, and yes, this is an easy, convenient spot to navigate from whether you walk to Disney shops area or not.

Have a great time on Captiva!

RE - SSR Timeshares. The time shares are easily the best buy on the property, but dates are inflexible as it's fixed to timeshare weeks that only run Fri-Fri and it's hard to find a unit with 2 contiguous weeks, so 7+ day rentals often involve moving. Only Plantation Beach Club is beachfront timeshare. Harbor View Villas have a great location, but not on the beach.

The timeshares have GREAT deals with the resorts for the amenities and are an incredible buy, but do come with those limitations in mind.