We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captiva Public Beach (Hagerup) Closed Beach Restoration

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Captiva Public Beach (Hagerup) Closed Beach Restoration

Due to the beach restoration project mobilization, Alison Hagerup Beach Park (the public beach before South Seas Resort at the end of Captiva Drive) will be closed beginning Tuesday, Sept. 17th until further notice.

Heads up for those planning to make a day trip to Captiva.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Captiva Public Beach (Hagerup) Closed Beach Restoration

Sorry, Tour, but I must tell you that I found myself laughing at some parts of your story. I suppose that is what is meant by the term, "Gallows Humor"...when things get past a certain point of "Bad", each new glitch seems to tap an "Are You Kidding Me? / Gotta Laugh" button.

Gee...makes my story of being, "snowed in in Jamaica" sound pretty lame. Jamaica was fine, but O'Hare was closed down by a HUGE snowstorm so we arrived at the airport to learn we had to stay an extra night comped by the airline. Almost made up for the armed militia posted at intersections all over the island due to some sort of threatened insurrection that week!

Edited: 26 September 2013, 22:38
Teesside
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Captiva Public Beach (Hagerup) Closed Beach Restoration

Looks like I could be the winner shortly! Will go something like..... Woman goes on rampage along Captiva Beach after being unable to reach Mucky Duck Margarita via beach due to dredging issues!

Tourmaline.... its a corker! Cheered me up. And you are correct...... i have already dined out a few times on my pre-holiday saga!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Captiva Public Beach (Hagerup) Closed Beach Restoration

Incredible! You need to write a book about all of your travel adventures, I will be first in line to purchase it! I think I would have passed out had I seen a hurricane out the window!

Congratulations! You most definitely win!

I will not be following up with the "my son vomited all over me and burst his eardrums on the flight down, shortly before our daughter stepped on a spiny urchin and had to get the spines removed and stitches put in" story. Nope. I'll save that one for another time!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Captiva Public Beach (Hagerup) Closed Beach Restoration

Bean - Given a choice between "my son vomited all over me and burst his eardrums............ " and Hurricane Hortense, I'd take the hurricane.

The whole ' sleeping under a craps table' became a company legend. Well, until I topped it with a whole car rental thing in England and had a $400 overseas call as corporate people kept yelling "Don't hang up!"

I think they had fliers with my picture with a red circle around it with a line thru it say - "DO NOT TRAVEL WITH THIS PERSON!"

Teesside
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Captiva Public Beach (Hagerup) Closed Beach Restoration

Hurricane! For sure! Oh bless him thats awful.

Tourmaline......... I'm also with GrandmaMac............ so glad it didn't happen to me but it tickled me pink. Saved from No see ums by Captiva towel whilst under craps table is just too much on its own but the whole story around it makes it off the charts!!

Erm............ when is your next flight, where are you going on holiday/business. etc I just think I do need this information to make sure I am not in the vicinity!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Captiva Public Beach (Hagerup) Closed Beach Restoration

Back before Hurricane Charley, the gift shop for SSR was in Chadwick Square along with their deli/convenience store and open to the public. They sold these GREAT huge Cannon Royal beach towels in various colors all with CAPTIVA printed in the middle in huge block letters in some contrast color. I bought 3 in the seafoam color over the years and still have 2 of them. They take up a LOT of space in a suitcase, but I've taken them to Hawaii, the Caribbean, Costa Rica, Greece - where ever I'd be swimming. That and this really attractive wrap in shades of blue and green I picked up on St John for $5. I should have bought 3 more!!!!!!!

I was walking across the bank parking lot one day when a trucker leaned out his window and waved at me. Figured he needed directions as it's kind of country out here and the roads do strange things. I walk over and he has this smile on his face. "I've been to Sanibel! What a great place!" We chatted about the islands for a couple of minutes then asked his question about directions. I was wearing a tee shirt with SANIBEL across the front and a tan ball cap with the lighthouse and Sanibel embroidered on it. You could tell it brought back some good memories for the man. (Well that, or he liked looking at my chest.)

17. Re: Captiva Public Beach (Hagerup) Closed Beach Restoration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 05:16