We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Seas Resort vs sunset Captiva

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
South Seas Resort vs sunset Captiva

Hi! We are planning on going to Captiva for a week in April with my teenage (17) son and a friend for him. We definitely want to be able to play tennis. We have been debating about renting a house at Sunset Captiva, but are now wondering if we would be better off at South Seas Resort (my husband would play golf also if we stayed here). Are there pros and/or cons to staying at either spot? Thanks.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Seas Resort vs sunset Captiva

Both are nice. South Seas has the onsite tennis academy with 20 plus courts on the property, all recently paved from green to US Open blue. Pros are available for lessons, there is a tennis gift shop, etc... South Seas golf course is only a par 3 , but maybe the prettiest par three on the planet. More serious golf courses are on Sanibel Island.

There are cost issues, South Seas is not cheap. And if you want to use the amenities you need to reserve thru

the resort, and pay an amenity fee. But, South Seas is quite a beautiful place.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: South Seas Resort vs sunset Captiva

South Seas is VERY expensive. It's a par-3 golf course, but two full courses are available on Sanibel.

The advantage of Sunset Captiva is the easy walking distance to everything in the village including live entertainment, sports equipment rentals, canoe and kayak rentals as well as places to get food, coffee, newspapers, etc. It's a small village, but fun.

South Seas has the best pool complex on the islands. And it's a stunning location. It's also VERY pricey and tacks on charges for everything except internet. It sprawling and you'll be doing a lot of walking or waiting for the trolley to get you around. The pool complex is bayfront, so if you stay beachfront, you will have a ways to go to get back and forth. Food ranges from good to blah and is often badly overpriced. The golf course was completely redesigned after Charley and golfers say it's very easy, but a nice stroll. Check to see if carts are mandatory as it can get expensive. Dunes on Sanibel is just as lovely and a regular 18 hole course that gets decent reviews by golfers wanting something a weekend duffer likes. It's more challenging than Beachview - or so I am told by golfers.

If you're on the resort and staying in the Beach Villa condos, you can easily walk the beach to the village at night for entertainment. Keeps the problem of parking to a minimum.

I've stayed at SSR, but mostly I've taken rentals in the village bayside (a personal preference of mine) area or along Roosevelt Channel. I liked the easy walk to the few shops and restaurants.

It's really a matter of personal preference. Just know, in April, renting thru the resort, if you don't like your condo (and many are in need of renovation) you might not have an alternative place. Many units rent privately or not at all. Others are timeshare.

Miami
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Seas Resort vs sunset Captiva

I've never stayed at South Seas but have rented annually at Sunset Captiva for the past 5 summers. As others have pointed out, SSR is a *resort* so if that type of ambiance and amenities are important enough to you to pay much, much, much more then it may be right for your family.

However I can tell you that SC has a very nice tennis/pool/BBQ clubhouse area centrally located. I've never seen the tennis courts crowded (although I do visit in summer non-high season) nor the pool either. The units are ideal for a family with teenagers in terms of space and amenities--they are individual homes so there is room to spread out a bit as well as laundry facilities in each unit etc.

The location of SC may also be a plus, as Tourmaline pointed out the complex is really in the middle of the Captiva village area, as compared to SSR which although not terribly far--nothing in Captiva is terribly far from anywhere else!-is definitely at one end of the island and more self contained.

So from someone who has Sunset Captiva experience, I can tell you it is really a great complex and a very good buy for the money. Weekly rentals there are lower than getting a separate house in the village and definitely less than what you will spend on SSR for something equivalent.

4. Re: South Seas Resort vs sunset Captiva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 05:17