We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crab Races at Crow's Nest

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
283 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Crab Races at Crow's Nest

Hi again everyone,

I've read good and bad about this place and the crab races. Can anyone recommend it or should we keep our distance. The crab races sound like fun for the kids. Do they start at 6 PM sharp with the races or is that just when the festivities begin? I'm okay if the food isn't 5 star (or 4 star or 3 star), I just want the kids (6 and 3) to have fun (they are mac and cheese eaters anyway). Thanks again.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crab Races at Crow's Nest

The Crows Nest has a brand new menu, so don't let the older reviews of "just plain old bar food" deter you from stopping here!

www.tween-waters.com/CrowsNest.Menu.New.pdf

The pizzas are really good!

When we've been to the NASCRAB races they have started on time. The early Race is for families and kids, the later race is for adults only. I think it's a lot of fun and your kids will get a kick out of it! Here's a video that Tween Waters made to give you an idea of what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-gyahXSZ4I

Mentioned in this post
Crow's Nest Bar & Grille
Crow's Nest Bar & Grille
548 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
NASCRAB
NASCRAB
179 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
327 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crab Races at Crow's Nest

We've only been once to the races (although we've vacationed there for years and years), and our "kids" were college students at the time. This is one of those things that gets better as kids get older, I think. The early show would be ideal for elementary-age children. Your three-year-old might or might not like it. They might be happier just spending their evening chasing ghost crabs on the beach.

If you are bored by that night and are looking for something to do or it's raining, go for it. The adults will "get" the humor, even if the kids don't. When we were there, even for the early show, it still had a bar vibe, so keep that in mind. But if they are happy doing something else that evening, don't insist on going. There's so much else to do -- from sunsets to exploring the beach by flashlight -- for young children, that you won't have missed anything. Just my opinion, of course!

I guess you know to make sure you walk over to the docks wherever you can -- Jensen's on the bay is a great place to see manatees, and you can often see a variety of wading birds on the dock at The Green Flash. We enjoyed renting bikes on Sanibel and riding them on the trails around the lighthouse, and we used to drive through the refuge there, too. We treasure the memories of our children when they were very young on San-Cap; it didn't take much to keep them occupied!

Mentioned in this post
Green Flash
Green Flash
1,637 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crab Races at Crow's Nest

Ahhhhh?? No. Been there with teen kids, 80 year old dad, and adults many times. The early show is PG rated ( the late show definitely an XXX) , but not particularly kid friendly. They don't let kids near the table, table side chairs are adult only, kids will watch from the distance..

Touch tanks and butterfly house at SCCF more kid friendly activities. Folks right about Manatee hunting at Jensen's .

Mentioned in this post
Manatee Park
Manatee Park
1,827 Reviews
Fort Myers, FL
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crab Races at Crow's Nest

Still think the early show is ok. When we went it was exactly like as shown in the PR video I posted. Our kids were at the table. Tons of kids were there. Nothing PG when we went.

Husband and I just went to the Crows Nest this month. I had forgotten that the Crab Races would be going on, I wanted to try out the new menu...we were there during early show. Kids were all having fun and wound up, we got out of there fast!

Mentioned in this post
Crow's Nest Bar & Grille
Crow's Nest Bar & Grille
548 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
283 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crab Races at Crow's Nest

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions, I think it may sound like a fun night for the kids.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crab Races at Crow's Nest

If you go, please let us know your take on it!

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
283 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crab Races at Crow's Nest

Absolutely, we plan on going Monday evening. Thanks again.

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
283 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crab Races at Crow's Nest

Okay, just got in from a night at the crab races (6pm family show). Definitely the highlight of the trip so far. Dont understand all the negative things I read in reviews. The MC was great, everyone had a blast. Would highly recommend to anyone with a sense of humor and thick skin.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crab Races at Crow's Nest

Thanks for the update! Glad your family liked it! So how long before the kazoos drive you crazy? I'm assuming you are now the proud owner of a kazoo or two?!

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
283 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crab Races at Crow's Nest

I'm actually the proud owner of the coveted Golden Kazoo. I've found my skill in life, picking fast Hermit Crabs out of a fish bowl.