We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
345 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Activities

We are planning our first trip to Florida with a five night stay at Jensen's on the Gulf. Can we walk along the beach to restaurants etc . ( my hubby loves photography and we desperately miss the ocean) or are there private homes that will block us ? If we decide one day to rent bikes is it best to go to Sanibel for a day as from my research it seems to have more paved paths ? We are so excited about our trip and greatly appreciate all your comments and suggestions. Thank you

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities

You can walk the entire length of Captiva, on the gulf side, on the beach. From Jensens, you are a short walk to the village.

Sanibel does have separate, paved, bike paths - 20 + miles. Captiva has a bike path, but it is on the road. I'm an avid cyclist, so doesn't bother me, but others do not like the cars going by. It is also a hot ride, if it's sunny - not much shade, on San Cap Rd.

If you choose Sanibel, go to Finnemores or Billy's, and pick your bikes. Both have parking available.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
345 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities

Thank you so much for your quick reply. If we walk along the beach on the gulf side is there a place to stop and buy a cold drink at the very end of Captiva and approx. how far is it ?

Missouri
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities

Assuming you're talking about walking north it's probably 2+ miles from Jensen's to the end and there is no place there to get a cold drink. You can walk to the end and then come back to Andy Rosse Lane and stop at the Mucky Duck for a cold one. Its right on the beach.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
345 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities

From Jensen's you can walk to Andy Rosse Lane by the beach or along the road. Suggest bring some flashlights (torch in Calgary ?) though. Captiva is poorly lit to protect sea turtles. You also can walk to Tween Waters Inn, they have a couple of nice restaurants, and the Hermit Crab Races which are fun ( Late show X rated).

Bicycling to Sanibel is a long haul. From Captiva village to Ding Darling and back is probably 15 miles, Bowman's beach, 12 miles.

Missouri
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities

You will also be just a block or so from the Green Flash. It sits on the bay and has some nice water views.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 01:08
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
345 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities

Wow thanks so much for all your great suggestions ! As I type our current weather is minus 25 C and way to icy and cold to go for a walk .We are looking so forward to this trip and even though we have a rental car we want to go for daily walks to restaurants and be out side as much as possible. Great suggestions about the flash light and the crab races sound like fun as it is something we have never ever heard of. ??? Another question please has anyone ever gone on Captiva Cruises ? They have good reviews and we are thinking it may be fun doing one of the sun set cruises as they have a couple to pick from. Any suggestions ? I'm prone to motion sickness so may stay away from the catamaran .Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activities

All Captiva Cruises are enjoyable, BUT my two suggestions are:

--Any Wildlife Cruise--Docents from Conservation Foundation are very informative

--WEDNESDAY Sunset Cruise-- Danny Morgan--Sanibel's answer to Jimmy Buffet performs!

Note--If you want to see Dolphins up close, go to back lower level of boat when dolphins are sited.They be in the wake just feet away.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Activities

Love Captiva Cruises! As long as you don't take the Sunset Sail Cruise, you should be fine. The boat for the other two sunset cruises is larger and you really don't feel much motion. I too get motion sick, but I'm able to go on the larger boat cruises without any problems.

They also offer a dolphin cruise which is pretty neat, it stays in the sound, so it's also a smooth ride.

I've honestly never heard anything but wonderful things about Captiva Cruises. They have a coupon on their web page that you can print and take with you for a small discount.

The Crab Races are at the Crows Nest at Tween Waters, bar atmosphere but the food is pretty good.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 22:34
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Activities

Not sure when you are visiting but in the warmer months, you can walk over to Jensens Marina and see the Manatees hanging around.