We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captiva with Babies

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kirkwood, Missouri
2 posts
Save Topic
Captiva with Babies

This will be our second year going to Captiva. We have 6 adults and 3 children, ages 4, 2, and 18 months. Last year we stayed at Lazy Palm, which was great, and well equipped for kids. This year we waited too long to book, and Lazy Palm is already booked! We are probably going to rent "By the Sea" through Royal Shell. It will certainly be a close walk to the beach, and easy to watch the sunset! We have a few questions:

1. We will need to rent baby equipment (high chair, portacrib, beach stroller). Any specific company recommended?

2. Does anyone know if there is a wagon and/or beach toys/chairs at By the Sea?

3. Has anyone with kids stayed at "By the Sea"? Do you recommend renting any baby gates?

4. On the website there are pictures of 4 of the 5 bedrooms, does anyone know about the layout of "By the Sea?" What levels the rooms are on, etc?

5. Any other housing recommendations or tips? Thank you!!!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captiva with Babies

Call Royal Shell directly, they can answer all of your questions and even arrange ahead of time to have the baby equipment you need at the rental when you check in. There hasn't been any feedback on the forum recently in regard to this rental, though I know the house and it's location, I haven't rented it myself.

You can rent your equipment direct through Island Rentals

www.islandrentalservices.net/default.asp

If you want to supply your dates and budget, we can make specific recommendations for you.

Kirkwood, Missouri
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Captiva with Babies

Bean- Thank you so much for your quick reply! We will be there July 12-19. We are also considering a few other properties-

Green Flash West looks very nice, but concerned that it may be far away from the beach- not sure how we would access the beach- golf cart/bikes/wagon/beach stroller we could rent, but unsure where we would access the beach, and how crowded it would be. (we were so spoiled last year, we used the golf cart and wagon to drop everyone off at the end of Laika Lane, and 1 person would drive the golf cart back to the house, and ride the bike to the beach). We loved the beach there.

The Martin House looks very nice, but does not appear to have a dining room table big enough for all of us to sit at, and we like to eat our meals in. (easiest with 3 little ones!)

Ca d'Mare looks great- but uncertain about the ground level apartment- concerned it may be damp/ etc, being on the ground floor-

So your opinion on any of these, and the importance of a screened pool that time of year would be great-

Just saw A Saba Wind- beautiful! Far from the village, and another ground level room- any thoughts?

Thanks!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captiva with Babies

Green Flash is on Murmond lane, the beach access would be next to the Captiva Chapel on Chapin Lane. It's probably about the same distance as it was for you at Lazy Palm. The beach there is private access only, it will not be crowded, especially in July, which is off season.

Martin House has an occupancy limit of 8 and all renters included infants are counted towards that. Agencies are pretty strict about it due to fire codes.

Ca d'Mare is a gorgeous home, on the corner of Chaplin and Captiva, beach access is a few house down and you can easily walk this, even with the toddlers. The house is huge! I would not be too concerned about ground level, we have rented many one story homes on the Island and haven't had any issues.

Saba Winds is Gulf front, so literally you walk out the door and onto the sand! It is in a location that would require you to drive to the village if you wanted to dine or shop. I have heard nothing but positive feedback on Saba. It would be most private of all the homes you are looking at and I doubt you would see another soul on the beach there.

Happy Daze is another rental to consider, it's on the corner of Dickey and Captiva Drive, very near Lazy Palm. In fact, you would have walked past it to get to the beach. It's advertised as kid friendly and is available through Royal Shell. They do have a VRBO ad too, but bookings are through RS. Make sure to check out the VRBO listing for reviews, all very positive.

royalshell.com/vrmgr/…Happy-Daze

By the way, By The Sea home will probably have the most people on the beach there. It's on Andy Rosse Lane where YOLO WAtersports operates from, all of the wave runners and such will be there. Day trippers also tend to park at the marina and use this beach access even though it is technically not a public access.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captiva with Babies

By the way, if you aren't already using it, check out BING Maps, great for helping with home locations.

Here is the VRBO listing for Happy Daze with the reviews.

http://www.vrbo.com/39657

Clarifying that I wouldn't be concerned about the ground level rooms in Ca d'Mare, it's obviously not a one story rental! Sorry typing while cooking for the hungry teen!

Edited: 03 March 2014, 23:49
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Captiva with Babies

Hi Megan -

We stayed near blinds pass recently and used Vacation Baby Rentals - Luke was great to work with flexible with delivery and pick up. Everything was very clean and new .. small delivery charge

website was www.vacationbabyrental.com

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Captiva with Babies

Hi Tim,

Do you own Vacation Baby Rentals?

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Captiva with Babies

Hi Bean,

I don't - but I visit Sanibel/captiva often and have used them 3 times over the past 2 years...

I also have family that lives in the Ft Myers area that has used and recommended them

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Captiva with Babies

I asked because we usually don't see a 3 month old thread pulled up to make a first time post on a business. I don't think most people on Sanibel and Captiva Islands would even use someone based in Fort Myers when there are two very reputable companies located on the Islands.

You might want to pull up some old threads on the Fort Myers and Fort Myers Beach forums and make your recommendation.

9. Re: Captiva with Babies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 05:16