We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Captiva with an infant. Anyone experienced with

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Captiva with an infant. Anyone experienced with

Hi,

My wife and I are traveling for the first time with our 5 month old daughter. In the past we have always traveled alone (having no children), and had such awesome, romantic vacations. Does anyone have suggestions for how to spend 14 days on Captiva with an infant? How did you handle the baby on the beach? What restaurants were baby friendly? What can my wife and I do along with our child to still have an awesome trip? How did you best protect your infant from the sun on the beach?

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Captiva with an infant. Anyone experienced with

Where are you staying? South Seas has a killer infinity wadding pool on Redfish Pass. If not purchase one of those portable beach cabanas, big enough for two chairs and baby. All restaurants on Captiva are casual and kid friendly.

From experience, Captiva sand tastes much better than Sanibel sand. ;-0

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Captiva with an infant. Anyone experienced with

Hi Thanks for the reply,

We are staying at the southseasresort. We have a portable sunshade big enough for 2 chairs and a baby but does the baby stay in the car seat or just lay on a mat or blanket? I am thinking the car seat is too hot.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Captiva with an infant. Anyone experienced with

Welcome to the world of traveling with kids! Every restaurant on the Island is appropriate to take your infant. Captiva is very family oriented, particularly SSR, it's known as one of the best resorts for families.

As a parent of three, my youngest is now 17, I can assure you that when there's a will there's a way to have some romantic moments even with the kids along!

For sure you will need constant protection from the sun for your baby when you are outdoors. I would be sure to always use the sunshade or an umbrella and limit the time your infant is in the direct sun. Keep a hat on them to protect their delicate head and eyes from the sun. I would also use an organic or a specific sunscreen made for babies and children.

I personally would not constrain an infant to a car seat. That seems rather uncomfortable. I'm sure your baby would prefer a nice blanket to stretch out on. If your baby can sit up, we used to bring a shallow Rubbermaid container, line it with a blanket and a few toys and make a little playpen for our kids. Kept them from eating sand and was a way to keep them safe and secure without being confining.

The best advice I can give you is to not think of your little one as a game changer! I know that things are very different once you have kids, that never stopped my husband and I from doing anything. Kids are very adaptable!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Captiva with an infant. Anyone experienced with

Thanks,

Well the first day on the beach with the 5 month old didn't go over too well. We finally got setup around 12:30 and it was hot as blazes. She was so uncomfortable both in and out of her car seat. We tried different ways- to hold her, lay her on a towel, do whatever we could to make her comfortable but unfortunately we couldn't stay more than half of an hour. I think next time we'll go much earlier or later in the day when it cools off. Yesterday she did very well at the pool though.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Captiva with an infant. Anyone experienced with

This time of year, 10 AM till afternoon thunderstorm will be hot. Early morning and 5-7 are great times. Remember to get to the village for dinner. Better food, better prices. Bubble Room's brightness and bisiness may keep your 5 month old entertained. Good A/C lunch.

woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
664 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Captiva with an infant. Anyone experienced with

I'll add my 2 cents. We traveled with our son for his first beach vacation in Sanibel and Naples when he was 5 mths. What helped us was to rent some of the equipment he was used to having at home such as a swing ,which was key to nap time, and the one place we rented from in Naples even threw in some baby toys that were age appropriate for him to play with . We brought his stroller and spent quite a bit of time taking leisurely strolls- also great for napping. We alternated between having him sleep on his carseat with a towel on it or holding him on the loungechair- staying at places that had umbrellas. We also brought along a blow up baby float that he really loved and had a sun shade that covered part of it. We were like you, we had 14 years of alone romantic vacations before our little one came along so it was an adjustment but we have great memories of that first trip and now he is a real water/beach lover! Oh,one other thing that made the trip special ,was we were able to get him to go up and sit with the pilot and take pictures after the flight and he got his first pair of wings!

7. Re: Traveling to Captiva with an infant. Anyone experienced with

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 06:18