We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

has anybody ever been disney in january

england
4 posts
Save Topic
has anybody ever been disney in january

we are looking at going to disney in january and was wondering if all the attractions are open or if they shut earlier than what they do in the summer. Also wondering about the weather,any help would be much appreciated

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: has anybody ever been disney in january

Iv been in Jan before everything was still open apart from a couple of things that they were making changes to.It was quite chilly in the night so I would take a jumper for the night time it was nice in the day well hotter than home but not to hot like their summer, also the parks do shut earlier than summer

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: has anybody ever been disney in january

Oh forgot to say they shut earlier but its really quiet and hardly any ques so you will have time to get everything you want done

canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: has anybody ever been disney in january

I've been twice in Jan. & loved it. As mentioned, the parks close earlier than in high season, but the short lines mean you will actually accomplish more in 1 day than in high season. There's usually some rides closed for refurbishment, seems to me they close 1 mountain in the MK, & 1 waterpark. Some places like Seaworld also don't have all of the attractions, like the water skiing show.

As for weather, it's a gamble. We were lucky enough to have beautiful warm weather both times, where as my sister just went first week of Feb. & they had to wear light jackets the entire time. ( the pools are heated though, so most kids will still swim) The longest they ever waited for a ride though was 10 minutes for Dumbo. Everything else they basically just walked on to.

I've been so spoiled going during low season, that I would never go back during higher crowds. There's no crowds, bugs, humidity, or sunburn to worry about. i highly recommend it! Happy planning!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: has anybody ever been disney in january

We've been a few years ago and it is quiet but, as mentioned, the weather is a gamble. It felt very cold (we're from Scotland) and we felt we were missing out on things like late evening dips in the pool.

Although many people don't like the humidity & heat of late summer, we consider that our main reason for going.

england
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: has anybody ever been disney in january

thanks for replies- can see the advantages of no queing in jan but am a little worried that we wont be able to enjoy all the water based fun if too cold i will probably only get to take kids once and want them to enyoy everything but its so much more expensive after january need to do some serious thinking and research-gratful for any more advice

canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: has anybody ever been disney in january

We swam everyday when we went in Jan. , did the waterpark, & evening swims. However, you're right, it is a gamble. Last year we were there the first week of March, & a woman we met said she was there same time the year before. Apparantly they wore pants & jackets the entire week, & never swam once. So, the point is, that anytime before April or May is kind of a gamble.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
142 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: has anybody ever been disney in january

I've been to Disney 6 times in 12 years...all at different times. My trip the 2nd week of January was the best. We encountered NO lines anywhere. We stayed at the Polynesian and were upgraded to a MK view room. Yes, it was chilly, but the free reign around the parks was worth the extra sweater. I'm going this month and am not looking forward to Disney at high season...

england
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: has anybody ever been disney in january

thanks for your reply its very helpful to here from someone who has been at both high and low season -did you do any of the water on your january hol

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
708 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: has anybody ever been disney in january

We have been to Disney two times in January. It is a great time to go. We were lucky weather wise as is was in the 70,s most of the time last year and a little cooler when we went five years ago. I believe it was in the high fifties and low sixties. As long as we did not have to wear winter jackets we were happy. The lines are great. As someone said DUMBO is the longest wait at ten minutes or so. Have a great time. Ane yes we did swim even though it was cool at night the pools are heated so there are many people swimming.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,772 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: has anybody ever been disney in january

Just a word of warning about January. This is the prime time when most of the "refurbs" take place, so while not all rides will be shut down, many of them could be. This is especially true of "big rides" like Space Mtn., Splash Mtn., Thunder Mtn., Rock & Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, etc.

Also, at least one of the water parks will be closed in January too.