We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Hotel vs. Airbnb

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Disney Hotel vs. Airbnb

Hi,

I will be visiting Disney with my girlfriend from August 28 to September 5. I am staying in a full reimbursable Airbnb maybe 10-15 minutes away from Disney. We are planning on attending Disney for 5 days and Universal for 2 days. However, we are on a budget.

After calculating our Airbnb + Uber prices to the parks and back and comparing it with the least expensive Disney hotel (Disney All-Stars Movie Resort) I have found that the difference in price would be $257 more per person for the entire stay.

My question is, should I cancel my Airbnb and opt for the Hotel instead? Is it really much more convenient to stay at a Disney Hotel? Is the small difference in price worth it?

25 replies to this topic
Ohio
Level Contributor
245 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney Hotel vs. Airbnb

What type of room do you have with AirBnB? Is it comparable to the All Star WDW hotels as far as amenities go?

Staying onsite is very convenient. Transportation to anywhere you want to go on WDW property, no parking fee at the parks. Some will mention being "in the bubble", fully-immersed in WDW when you stay onsite.

Is price the only difference?

Ocean City, New...
Level Contributor
868 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney Hotel vs. Airbnb

If you are traveling without a car, it will be more convenient and perhaps financially a better decision to stay on property.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
20,278 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney Hotel vs. Airbnb

Staying at Disney is not convenient for Universal though, have you looked at (for ex.) places like Homewood Suites (free breakfast/free shuttles to all the parks), a split stay, partly at Disney for your Disney days and on site at Universal for your Universal days (Portofino, Hard Rock and Royal Pacific will include early entry and unlimited express passes).

US
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney Hotel vs. Airbnb

Do you think you'll use the features of your Airbnb? Kitchen, etc. or will you be out and about pretty much all the time?

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney Hotel vs. Airbnb

If you save $500 total staying at an Airbnb location, then that is a big difference. I would not buy the bells and whistles of a Disney resort if I wanted to save $500. I'd rather use that money for souvenirs instead or something else. A room is just a room.

I honestly think you have to spend $500/night to get a real resort experience at Disney World anyway. To me, Disney rooms under $500 are very standard and not worth the splurge if you are on a budget.

(I am referring to the rooms only and not the amenities.)

US
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney Hotel vs. Airbnb

Thinking some more; I'd do the Airbnb (though location matters and you didn't share that) but I'd probably do a night or 2 at Universal.

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney Hotel vs. Airbnb

I should add that we have never spent more than $300/night on a room at Disney. I only hope that the $500/night rooms are much better because in spite of spending about $300/night for a Disney room, I have been much more comfortable at a Comfort Inn. Ok, I am done now. =D

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney Hotel vs. Airbnb

Our airbnb is only a small room 10 minutes away from Magic Kingdom. So far what I see as advantages is this:

AirBnB:

Kitchen

Uber

Cheaper

Disney:

Bus and Shuttle Free to Parks and Downtown Disney

Hotel Room

Airport Transfer

Early Access and Late Access to Disney Parks

Disadvantages:

AirBnB;

Private room in someone's house who will be there

Pay a uber everytime we go somewhere

Not close to everything

Disney:

More Expensive

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,969 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney Hotel vs. Airbnb

"Private room in someone's house who will be there"

For me that would be a major negative

Is airbnb your only alternative over staying on site?

Why not a "normal" hotel nearer Universal as you are spending more time there - or am I missing something?

US
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney Hotel vs. Airbnb

Can you find a private Airbnb vs a room? I'd never choose to stay with a stranger. I assume you could find an Airbnb apartment somewhere.

From your own pro/ con list, it sounds like you're leaning hotel to me.

Reply to: Disney Hotel vs. Airbnb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted