We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney... denied!!!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Disney... denied!!!

Well - the storm did us in. We had tix for 9 people from Portland, ME through JFK to Orlando for Friday. Delta cancelled all NYC flights in advance on Thursday night. Damn! We arranged for alternate flight from Boston through Atlanta to Orlando on Thursday Noon. OK - panic arrangements and a rental car (to supplement my own) and we're in Boston at 10am. Cool.

Then we find out a "Seat Request" ticket does not guarantee you a seat even though the gate agent who sold us the ticket swore up and down the pike that it did. First none of us had seats. Then one of us. Then two more. Finally they had seats for 6 of us. The other three had to wait. My wife, older daughter and her family, and family friend and her grand daughter made it. Me, my younger (19y.o.), and my mother in law did not make it.

Booked on next flight (with seats), but weather, delays, etc - cancelled. Stayed overnight in Boston. Best Delta (or anyone) could guarantee us was Monday night. Sigh. That would give us 3 days instead of 7. Decided it wasn't worth it and came home.

Needless to say everyone is despondent even my wife though she is there. (Sweet thing misses me!) Sigh.

Anyway - hope everyone else who was supposed to make it to the House of Mouse did so.

I'll be back, Mickey! Oh yes, I will be back.

-dragon

new york
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney... denied!!!

Sorry to hear about your lost trip. It just stinks to live in the Northeast US during the winter, spring, or fall. Just never know what can happen. We were scheduled to leave for Florida from Rochester NY on Valentines Day Feb. 14th the day of the last Winter Storm in the NE. Had no problems getting out as we fly Air Tran which has the majority of its Hubs in the south. Our Plane came from Atlanta that day which had no Delays. We got 21 inches of snow that day and still took off just 25 minutes late, and only because the Pilot decided he wanted to De-ice. One thing I will say, our Airport has some of the best snow removal equipment in the US. Air Tran will be coming to Portland ME. in June, and I would suggest the next time you want to go to Florida, connsidor them. This way you can avoid flying anywhere near NYC which on a clear 80 deg. day usually has 30 minute delays and cancelations

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney... denied!!!

Hey Dragon....If it helps.....It's cold and very windy down here....We are suppose to have wind chills in the 30s in the morning.....

3. Re: Disney... denied!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2007, 00:25
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney... denied!!!

Geez Dude, I don't know who you think you are.....I was just trying to console the guy on his tough luck.....

Big Deal I lived in Lake George for 10 years....Who cares !

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney... denied!!!

It would be no fun to have temp of 30s in Orlando!!! Is that where you are now?

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney... denied!!!

Yes, I live just north of Orlando...It was nice a couple of days ago then it took a turn for the worst....It's been really crazy down here this year..

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney... denied!!!

Dragon --- brutal to hear your bad news.

Wow,... TA worked fast to drop that post. It was uncalled for --- anyone has the right to post here.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney... denied!!!

Lana T/A scans the forums every once and awhile...and they reserve the right to remove post that are not being very nice....

You ask about it being cold down here....a month ago we were in the 20s...then two weeks later it started raining... it warmed up....and we had blossoms on our peach tree....Crazy winter...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
828 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney... denied!!!

Oh man weather delays really stink! I had a trip to vegas totally ruined (as in---never ever even got there--was stuck in Chicago ona cot for 3 days) due to weather. Ever since that experience, I always ALWAYS purchase a comprehensive travel insurance package that reimburses fully for delays, cancellations, etc. There are numerous reputatable companies out there...

Hope you and the rest of your crowd get there soon!

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney... denied!!!

Thanks to all for the kind words.

We won't be catching up with our party at all. We weren't going to sit in Boston for two days then to only have 3 days in Orlando. Disney will always be there - we'll go another time.

As for money - we won't actually be out any. Since Delta bumped us off a flight due to overbooking and not weather they will give us a full refund on the tickets. The Disney tickets I prepurches (that were on me) I'm sure I'll be able to sell - or they are good forever (until first use) and we can use them another time.

Just sitting here at home in Maine incredibly depressed. My wife is in Orlando depressed and having fun and feeling guilty - all at the same time.

Stupid Delta. Stupid snow.

-dragon