We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is $25 to much to tip

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
351 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is $25 to much to tip

Hi does anyone think tipping $25 dollars to your server is to much I’ve done this the last two nights tgi fridays last night and the longhorn steak house tonight the bill came to around $75 for both nights so I just gave the server $100 and tell them to keep the change is this to much to tip the service was very good

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: Icon Orlando...
21 Reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
155 Reviews
from US$118.99*
53 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is $25 to much to tip

20% of your bill is the standard for very good service in restaurants so around $15 in your case

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is $25 to much to tip

It is up to you how much you want to tip

Suggestive amout is 20%, so on a$75 meal that is $15 so you have left $10 more than you needed, but if you think the meal and the service was worth this, then that’s up to you

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,859 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is $25 to much to tip

I would have given 18%.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
41,115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is $25 to much to tip

I would have tipped $15- I think you are being more generous than necessary 18-20% is usually considered a generous tip . - so 20% of $75 is $15. Figure that percentage on the pre tax amount on the bill. Where I live, tax is 6% , so 3 x the amount of the sales tax is another quick way I compute my typical tip. That would be 18%. Tax may be higher in Orlando.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,843 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is $25 to much to tip

$15 is around what I would have given.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is $25 to much to tip

While $25 is definitely a generous tip, there's really no such thing as "too much" if you feel the level of service justifies it. Most of our international visitors don't realize it, but servers in the US are paid well below the minimum wage (just over $2 per hour), and their livelihood depends on tips. I worked in a restaurant when I was a poor college student, and a generous tip like yours made a big difference. Today, I tip about 25%, and I'm more than happy to do it. Your server may be a college student trying to earn money for tuition, or a single parent, or just generally a person trying to support their family, and tipping a few extra dollars for good service will certainly be appreciated.

Edited: 20 October 2017, 07:02
Flintshire N Wales
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is $25 to much to tip

We had a fab server in mamma Melrose in DHS... she sought out her manager as we were on the fantasmic dinner package, and one of our party of 3 was feeling ill, and only wanted a cold drink, yet the set price was $45 person.. the manager said we could just pay for his cold diet soda, and not an un used meal...but still get the dinner ticket for the show... so I left our server a $ 30 tip, once I had made sure that she did get the tip and not Disney ! She did go that extra mile to make sure he felt bit better by fetching him some bread and butter instead of a meal...

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,944 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is $25 to much to tip

Depends what you call “very good service” especially in a chain restaurant

What did your server do that was over and above the norm?

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
18,827 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is $25 to much to tip

IMHO, that's a lot to tip! I would stick to the "norm"!

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,944 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is $25 to much to tip

“”Most of our international visitors don't realize it, but servers in the US are paid well below the minimum wage (just over $2 per hour)””

Pretty sure International visitors who read this forum are well that servers work for a pittance in the USA - you all tell us often enough 😉

Reply to: Is $25 to much to tip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted