We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much?

Glasgow, United...
8 posts
How much?

Hi....Can you please help me by advising me how much money I would need for two people to visit Florida for 2 weeks and visit the parks and stay in a villa with car etc.

17 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: How much?

Hi bigalanr before the rest start, that is a very broad question. When are you looking at going, which parks do you wish to visit. Have you though of how much you can afford.

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
119 reviews
2. Re: How much?

I think breaking it down would be helpful. Lodging, park tickets, transportation, meals, tips, incidentals. Then I would consider the level of lodging I would want (budget, moderate, high) and the time of year you plan to visit.. These things vary quite a lot. There are packages that could save you money. Determine your budget first then start ironing out the details. Here is a rough estimate in USD:

Lodging: rough estimate $3500 including tax

Two weeks of car rental $600

Park Tickets for two: $1000

Meals: $ 1400

Incidentals: $300

Glasgow, United...
8 posts
3. Re: How much?

Apologies for the lack of detail in my question.....I'm thinking of flying to Orlando from Glasgow for two weeks next summer and staying in a villa...total cost would help me plan ahead..thanks

Scotland
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
92 reviews
4. Re: How much?

Thats still a very open question, but -

Flights - around £600 pr person (thats a cheap price for a direct flight - you can get cheaper if you choose to fly indirect, but if its summer holidays and you want direct it can be easily £1,000 per person and more)

Villa - how long is a piece of string and I assume you have the internet to check prices on the many villa websites, but say £700 to £3,000 per week depending on size and location (you can get lovely villas at the lower end of that scale).

Park tickets - Universal and Disney 2 week tickets - £700 per person

Spending Money - Average $150-$200 per adult per day

Scotland
Level Contributor
688 posts
5. Re: How much?

£1000-1500 for flights, same for a villa, 300 for a car, 500-1000 for park tickets (depending on whether you want every park or not), 500 spending if you live very cheaply and mainly eat in, or at least 2000 if you mainly eat out and want to buy some (not too expensive) things.

Budget at least 5 grand for a reasonable holiday with not a lot of extravagence, or towards 7 or 8 grand to have a whale of a time, eat out every night and buy some new clothes.

If you're watching the pennies a bit be aware there are lots of decent take-away places and your villa will be a pleasant place to eat that take-away etc.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
19,253 posts
61 reviews
6. Re: How much?

Really impossible to give you a figure! You will need to do masses of research but a holiday to the theme parks usually works out at many thousands of pounds.

Spending money will be as much as you can afford to take.

There are many posts on here about the cost of things, so I would scroll though and read the ones that interest you. It's a great way to gain masses of information.

We have recently booked a condo near the parks for just over £35 a night each!!!! Not quite as big as a villa (do you really need a villa for two people?) but a very good size. So for two weeks, that works out at around £1000.

Car hire for two weeks usually comes in at around £350 for a smallish size car. If you hire a villa, you will need a car as the villa communities are a long way from the parks.

Last time we went, two years ago, our evening meal at a restaurant such as Red Lobster, was costing about $50. That was for a main course and a drink each.

I would buy the excellent book "Brit Guide to Orlando" and read it from cover to cover! It's invaluable, especially for first timers and tells you anything and everything you could want to know about a holiday to Orlando, from landing at the airport to going home again.

Good luck with your research.

Edited: 22 October 2017, 10:01
Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
20,096 posts
48 reviews
7. Re: How much?

Do you really have to go in the summer? It’s more expensive and very hot and humid in Orlando

Buy the Brits Guide to Orlando which will give you lots of information on costs etc

Try and do some dummy bookings for flights, tickets, car rental etc

Have a look at Homeaway website for the cost of a villa - maybe search around the Davenport area - lots of villa communities in that area

We find a flight/car rental package with BA works for us and we book our villla directly with the owner

A holiday in Orlando isn’t cheap - park tickets alone can cost a fortune

As we don’t know your budget - advice for cutting costs might not be appreciated but you can certainly cut spending on eating out if you have a few meals by the pool at your villa - we always have breakfast in the villa

As a ball park figure our (2 adults) villa holiday usually costs around £5k - £6k for a month - we don’t visit the parks anymore but we do play a lot of golf which can be expensive 😱

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
14,667 posts
129 reviews
8. Re: How much?

Quote "but we do play a lot of golf which can be expensive 😱"

Golf balls & lots of water I presume??;-);-)...lol...

I just got flights from Glasgow with BA & car hire included for £3150.00

Family of 4. Next August school holidays..

Edited: 22 October 2017, 11:21
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
897 posts
234 reviews
9. Re: How much?

Alan,

So long as you avoid July thru September the flights should be fairly reasonable, BA have just gone on sale at £425 via LGW and Thomson operate the 787 Dreamliner but they react to school holidays as they are mainly a holiday tour operator. I've based this on a May 2018 departure and would advise that on 29th May and 12th June, Thomson (a direct flight) is on offer for £390 but after that it practically doubles in price.

Car Hire, book the Standard car but take the Gold insurance (Dollar or Alamo) because the upgrade cost is usually much the same and frankly that class of car is big enough. Anything else is a treat and you can take that option at the desk, by adding the additional insurance now you pay no more if you upgrade for additional insurance. Budget £300 for a fortnight and about £75 for the Gold insurance.

So far you'd be looking at £1225 for two people on BA - compare that to a typical Fly Drive package.

Whilst Thomson are on the surface cheaper they do add on sneaky extras like luggage and pre-assigned seats, it's about £100 extra however that being said on the June 12th flight you could go Premium which includes all these and more for an extra £200 taking your flights up to £592 each, that's £1559 total including the car and a direct flight in the Premium cabin. This is the option I would choose to be honest.

Villa well take your pick and the five bed home I usually stay in is £95 per night located in Champions Gate, you can stay for less but as a rule of thumb if it's cheaper than £75 per night there's probably a good reason for it. Call it a £1400 cost for budget and you shouldn't go wrong, a hotel / condo would be cheaper but we find the costs of parking and eating in such can add up, you do get other people around you though and will be generally speaking closer to 'things' happening. Consider your options there.

So in summary for two people;

Direct Premium Flight ex GLA £1184

Car Hire £375

Villa £1400

TOTAL £2959

Theme parks, ok there's loads of opinions on the best deals here but I don't know which parks you want to visit. With Disney there's no easy answer and you just pay what you pay online and deal with it. Universal on the other hand has the Annual Pass and there's an entry level one called the Power Pass starting a £200 for two parks with all year access and you add a hundred bucks if you want access to the Volcano Bay water park, it's the same price or less than a multi-day ticket and you have some benefits. Just check the Blockout dates do not conflict with your trip, also bear in mind that if you were to perhaps travel June 2018 and return May 2019 that same ticket would still be valid and renewal is cheaper than the initial purchase. Great if you intend to visit fairly regularly and the same cost. Sea World have a Fun Card $99 and annual pass options too which also include Busch Gardens.

Broad question, big long answer but do think about going when the children are in school term else it could cost you at least a grand per couple more with the hassle of very busy theme parks. Enjoy.

Glasgow, United...
8 posts
10. Re: How much?

Thank you so much sir..... Ive discussed this with my better half..A pool is not a necessity and we can travel outwith the school holidays. Im trying to set her mind at ease as she's a bit stuck for cash....cheers

Reply to: How much?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted