We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to avoid renting a car

Westminster...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trying to avoid renting a car

My husband and I are flying in Thursday February 8th around 9 pm and leaving Monday February 12th around 10 am. We will be going to universal on Saturday and Sunday. I want to avoid renting a car and I am wondering where a good place to stay is that offers reasonable airport/park shuttles or any other suggestions you have to avoid renting a car. I’d rather not stay at a universal resort because they are way too pricey. Thanks for any help and suggestions!

12 replies to this topic
US
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to avoid renting a car

Is Cabana Bay too pricey? Because that’s my pick and most other ideas I’d have are in that price bracket.

Do look at the Hampton Inns. Free breakfast can offset some transportation costs (and they might have free shuttles- you’d have to research).

Uber and Lyft won’t run you very much. Look for some first time user promo codes online.

2. Re: Trying to avoid renting a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2017, 04:49

3. Re: Trying to avoid renting a car

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2017, 04:42

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,101 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to avoid renting a car

You don't need to take Uber or a cab to your hotel;Mears offers perfectly reasonable shuttles from the airports to the International Drive/Universal area. Google "mears discounts" and you will get a code.There's dozens of hotels in the area. ES/Sonesta Suites is a well priced and well located one;the Rosen Hotels are popular...do you want a kitchen?Free breakfast?Do you have a budget?Uber to and from the parks is often better than the hotel shuttles since those may not meet your schedule

5. Re: Trying to avoid renting a car

Removed on: 21 December 2017, 04:42

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to avoid renting a car

So, if you DO want it both ways... :)

There are a good choice of hotels at Universal Blvd, Sand Lake, I-Drive which are a great compromise. Personally I am staying at Double Tree Universal in three weeks time, it is walking distance on the edge of the multi-storey car park of Universal and the fastest walking route is turn right, then left to the Valet parking area. You could also UBER for a few bucks if a one mile walk is an issue.

Folks are brainwashed about resort hotels, so we'll done you for thinking out of the box. Cabana Bay has no perks other than early access, for how much...? The Double Tree is next to Millers, the Crowne Plaza isn't bad either but over the I-4 backing onto Fish Bones.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to avoid renting a car

Local buses cost $2 per person per ride. If you are **really** trying to save..........

- you can get from Orlando International Airport to the International Drive area every 30 minutes, trip time a little over an hour. I-Drive is a useful place to stay for Universal and for a huge spread of places to eat etc. Hotels of all shapes and sizes are here.

- if you stay close to Universal Blvd on I-Drive, you can walk to Universal in, say 20 minutes. Cost nil.

This article describes city bus provision on I-Drive; you may find it helpful: https:/…pub

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to avoid renting a car

I have looked at lot of transportation options going to Disney and it is doable without a car but can be very inconvenient. Universal, on the other hand is closer to hotels and public transit I think it is totally doable without a car, look for a hotel with shuttles and the hotel transfer is quite cheap. The Seaworld area also seems to have good access to transportation.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,101 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to avoid renting a car

We have taken Mears several times and they never made more than one other stop. They use vans not big buses

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
9,586 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trying to avoid renting a car

We've used Mears many times as well (most recently to get to the Dolphin) and it ALWAYS made multiple stops. We were stop #4 because the van was full of parties of one or two and each stop only saw one or two guests getting out. It took nearly 90 minutes to get to the hotel. With the low cost of Uber and it now being allowed at the airport, I would think the problem has only worsened. It really only makes sense economically for parties of 1 to take Mears now.

Reply to: Trying to avoid renting a car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted