We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal Studios in mid January 2018

Kearny, New Jersey
12 posts
Save Topic
Universal Studios in mid January 2018

Hello, I'm planning to go with my wife next January 17 to Universal Studios Orlando for first time ever, 2 years ago we went to Magic Kingdom because my wife love Disney, but I have always wanted to go to Universal because I'm a film addict and fan of thrill rides...I have read that many rides are closing for new ones, there aren't fireworks at the end anymore, because they will replace them with new ones in March, so I want to know of is still worth it? which rides are still available? Disney was a beautiful place but I'm not a fan of it, although my wife was very pleased, I was a little bored. Please someone who has been there at least in the last weeks or 2 months. Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
20,240 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Universal Studios in mid January 2018

There's plenty of rides in both Universal parks. We were there in August and spent 5 days between the two parks and missed a couple of things (we had express passes also from staying on site at Royal Pacific). It's well worth going, you can look on line at all the rides they have there.

Unfortunately yes the equipment from their night time show was damaged in the hurricane and there will be a new show in the spring.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,565 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Universal Studios in mid January 2018

Universal is slowly "renovating" their two theme parks into rides which are "simulator/3D" type rides and doing away with many of the "physical" rides, but there's still plenty of the old ones around. Now, if you've not been to Universal in say 20 years, you'll be in for a shock, but if you've been since 2010 or later, there will be a mix of the old and new there.

The Harry Potter areas of both Universal parks are amazing in their themeing and the rides. Sadly, the old "Dueling Dragons" coasters (eventually renamed Dragon Challenge as part of Harry Potter) were closed earlier this year and are being demolished for a new "simulator" type ride in that area.

Old attractions like King Kong, Twister, Earthquake, Jaws, Terminator, etc. are all gone now as well. There is now Skull Island which is a new "King Kong" ride, but again very much simulator-oriented.

While Universal did have a nighttime show, they've been unable to have fireworks on nightly basis due to zoning ordinances and local residential neighborhoods being so nearby. Disney was smart to buy up so much land away from residential areas way back when to avoid such issues, but by the time Universal came along, they didn't have that option, so they have to deal with much more regulation on fireworks. It will be interesting to see what the new show consists of coming next year.

Reply to: Universal Studios in mid January 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted