We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much can we do in 1 day?

Mullen, Nebraska
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How much can we do in 1 day?

We are 2 adults visiting Disney next month and we are trying to figure out how to best utilize our time. We want to use our park hopper passes to break up our days, but I also don't want to try and fit too much into one day. Are either of the following practical or should we try to stick to 2 parks maximum per day?

1. Start at Magic Kingdom, visit Hollywood Studios in the afternoon, return to Magic Kingdom at night to ride the attractions in the dark & see the fireworks show (park hours: 9:00am-11:00pm)

2. Visit Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Epcot World Showcase (we will visit Epcot Future World a different day) in one day.

Are we trying to squeeze too much into one day with those itinerary options...or could it work? Thanks :)

11 replies to this topic
sugar land, texas
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much can we do in 1 day?

Are you only there for two days?

I am not a huge fan of hopping. It eats up too much time, IMO.

I am considering it for an upcoming trip because of FOP. I want to have an opportunity to enjoy it, and feel like I might need more than one day at AK to do so. Just don’t like the idea of two full days at AK.

I wouldn’t do 3 parks in a day.

Just seems like you have very little time.

We usually allow 2 days min. for MK alone and then at least 1 day in each of the other parks.

On our last few visits we have done 1 full and 1 partial day at AK and Epcot. 2 full MK and 1 full HS.

We might arrive later in the morning at HS & leave immediately after the Star Wars show at night.

We did once hop on a four day visit and I felt like we covered a lot.

Can’t remember what order we did. But I am pretty sure we did no more than 2 per day.

It might be okay if you have FPs all lined up and go knowing you won’t see it all, just the highlights.

Edited: 18 December 2017, 04:42
sugar land, texas
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much can we do in 1 day?

Also check park hours and see which are open later.

That would be the logical park to hit last.

I like the Star Wars show at HS, but that park usually closes fairly early.

I’d def choose MK for evening show over Epcot’s.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,953 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much can we do in 1 day?

I wouldn't visit Magic Kingdom and another park the same day unless you only have certain things in each to see or ride on.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much can we do in 1 day?

We often do 3 parks in a day, usually park 3 is Epcot for dinner or MK for late night EMH. It was a little easier when the Express transportation option existed.

One example would be to start at Hollywood Studios (only 4 rides there), take the boat to Epcot where fastpasses are procured, then monorail to MK for extra fastpasses and evening fireworks or EMH.

The buses can really slow you down as you never know how long you may be waiting for a bus to arrive. You can always use Uber or Lyft to avoid losing a lot of time.

We usually stay a minimum of 8 days and will visit MK 4 or 5 times, Epcot 3 or 4 times, AK and HS a couple times.

Scotland
Level Contributor
4,521 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much can we do in 1 day?

Day one dont waste time with two trips.

Start in HS which doesn’t take too long to cover then head to MK for the afternoon/evening.

Day two - three parks in one day is a complete waste of time.

No need to go back to HS. Do AK in the first half of the day then head to EPCOT for evening. Nice choice of restaurants and 9pm fireworks.

Thats it. Even then, I wouldn’t normally recommend more than one park in a day - the question posed makes it appear you are first timers and as such the parks can appear huge and complex. If you are a regular then you can find your way around very quickly.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much can we do in 1 day?

I wouldn't do more than two parks in one day. It's too much clock watching and time spent getting back and forth.

I would do HS in the morning and MK in the evening on the same day and then AK and EP on the same day.

But just be prepared, if you have never been before, you aren't going to have time to see everything doing multiple parks in one day.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,585 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much can we do in 1 day?

Even in January, crowds are large enough to warrent full day visits for Magic Kingdom and Epcot both, if you plan to cover more than just a few attractions in each park.

DHS can be done in less than a day, but AK is another one where Pandora que lines are making it much more time-consuming than just a 1/2 day will cover. You'll need at least 3/4 of a day at AK.

Remember, too, that transportation between parks takes a long time midday, especially using the WDW bus system. Buses come much less frequently outside main "rush hour" time periods, so you could easily spend nearly an hour in transit between parks.

sugar land, texas
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much can we do in 1 day?

Def think park hopping is better for those who have been multiple times and know the park layouts like the back of their hand.

Still not sure on how many days OP has.

Gehrig’s example is s good one. Still, better if you’ve already been multiple times.

There is plenty to fill your time w/o hopping too.

Planning 3 FPs for your second Park from the get go is a good trick.

Keeping in mind, you can always make adjustments on any of your FPs (use the app) if available and you feel the need.

Edited: 18 December 2017, 18:06
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,078 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much can we do in 1 day?

We nearly always use the hopper and wouldn't do it any other way. We've done all 4 parks in a day but it can be sort of hectic;two a day is the most comfortable.#1 will work just fine. #2 might be a little too much;there's a lot of walking at both AK and Epcot and the "headliner" Fast Passes can be hard to get. Its nearly impossible to adjust your FPs "day of" for the most popular rides. We get to our first park at rope drop;ride what we can without lines, use our FPs from around 10am on and then return to the hotel for lunch and a swim. We reserve our 4th FP as we're returning in the the afternoon at a second park. Once in awhile, if lines are short, we go to Epcot to see Illuminations as our last event of the day but the parks are pretty crowded now all the time so it can be too much.

chicago5008
Level Contributor
91 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much can we do in 1 day?

We are also considering park hopping so I had a follow up question for you all. We are planning to go 1/6-1/8 and buying a 3 day park hopper.

Option 1 - To do HS and Epcot on Saturday, MK on Sunday and AK on Monday.

Option 2 - Do HS and MK on Saturday, MK full day Sunday and AK/ Epcot Monday.

Suggestions? We also had the option of going 1/2-1/5 but many people thought the parks would be busier during that time frame. Thoughts?

Reply to: How much can we do in 1 day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted