We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FOP Experience

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
FOP Experience

My daughter wanted me to pass along her recent experience of FOP.

We are semi-local (live 1.5 hours from Orlando) and my daughter has a weekday annual pass that she uses to regularly visit the park with friends. She has never been a fan of Avatar and has been derisive of the Pandora addition to AK (as only a 'millennial' can be) ever since it was added.

This past Friday was the last day she could use her pass before the holiday blackout, so she went over with a friend who desperately wanted to do FOP. They arrived at AK at 9:30 and got in the regular standby line for FOP by 10am. They finally got to do the ride at 2pm.

Having gone to Disney regularly since she was 2 years old, my daughter is quite accustomed to waiting patiently in lines (I've often said that it was the best tool I could have used to teach her patience) but 4 hours is excessive for even the most patient person. However, when she got off the ride she called me and raved for 10 minutes about how amazing the ride was... and how worth the wait (even the 4 hour wait) it was. I kept expressing amazement that any ride could possibly be worth a 4 hour wait, but she insists that it's the most amazing thing at Disney and that she'd be willing to wait that long, or longer, to do it again. And coming from someone who was not a fan of the Avatar movie and thought that the inclusion of Pandora at WDW was 'monumentally stupid' - that is incredibly high praise.

She wanted me to share with people who doubt that it's worth all the work to get the FP or waiting in the line, that it's totally worth it and to please not miss your chance to experience it, especially if your trip is once-in-a-lifetime.

:)

17 replies to this topic
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: FOP Experience

That ride has consistently had good reviews. But there is no ride at any theme park that I am waiting 4 hours for. Even 60 minutes is pushing it for me.

Level Contributor
697 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: FOP Experience

Going in June with 18 and 22 year old

We are so happy to hear that the wait is worth it as we plan to wait it out no matter what. Hopefully we get fast pass as grandson is sure we will want to ride more than once. We have set aside a whole day for just this!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,677 posts
184 reviews
3. Re: FOP Experience

It might help that she has a pass and goes quite often. She probably didn't feel like she was wasting four hours in line, because she can always come back to hit the other rides whenever she wants.

I will say it is an amazing ride, but I can't imagine waiting in line that long for anything.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
9,767 posts
181 reviews
4. Re: FOP Experience

We rode it 3 times in less than 2 hours yesterday. We had our original FP booked at 60 days out and pulled two more sets day of...all while the wait was at 5 hours at one point. People should be trying for day of FP. The pre-show is too long or we would’ve gone more times. We passed over FPS 3 more times and chose other things because we didn’t want to do the pre show again and the hike it is to even get out of the ride! Check for FP everyone! No need to stand in line!

We pulled Navi River Journey day of as well...good thing, because that ride is short and boring.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
14,690 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: FOP Experience

So Disney can alter folks opinions in a positive way:-):-)

Though no way on earth am I waiting 4 hours for a ride;-);-)...lol...

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: FOP Experience

"Even 60 minutes is pushing it for me."

Our limit is usually 45 minutes, because that probably means closer to an hour, as the time estimates are usually optimistic.

:O)

Edited: 19 December 2017, 14:08
vancouver
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: FOP Experience

Cool. Glad she had fun!

I too was down on the Avatar additions at first. Did not think it fit with Disney or AK. But after visiting and getting the full experience I am now a big fan of Pandora; rides, dining, landscape are all great. And imho FOP is one of if not the best theme park ride I have ever been on. I think whether you like the movie or not is pretty much irrelevant.

Surprised to hear anyone got fp for it day of. We had success doing that with Na’vi River Journey but not fop. Will have to try harder next time.

Edited: 19 December 2017, 18:30
sugar land, texas
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
289 reviews
8. Re: FOP Experience

Katie thanks for the post!

Do you mind if I ask your daughter’s age?

I am going in March with my 16 yr old, and fingers crossed we will get FPs!

I agree with the person who said 60 minutes is too long for me.

I am ashamed to admit, I think I waited 4 hours several years back, to meet Anna and Elsa.

This was during Frozen Fever, when Disney did not seem prepared for the reaction to Frozen. They were at Epcot. Prior to moving to Fairytale Princess Hall and then back again to Epcot. The meet n greet there has greatly improved.

I am like a mule when it comes to these things. Once in line, I am determined to follow thru.

I saved a place in the line for the kids. Stood there till my back was killing me, not to mention the line was in the broad FL Spring sun. Pretty stupid of me.

Why they could not have several Annas and Elsas tucked in various rooms to move the line along is beyond me.

Very impressed with anonymous!!!! We will def keep trying to get more FPs day off.

It will just be the two of us, so I think we may have luck.

I’ve never seen the movie and know zilch about it, but it sounds like FOP is a must do.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,564 posts
93 reviews
9. Re: FOP Experience

We agree that FOP is superb - hands down the #1 ride in WDW. We've done FP, as well as waited close to 2 hours once. I wouldn't wait anywhere near that long again, but didn't regret doing it once. We also did it at rope-drop, which was great. Got to AK at 8am - an hour before opening. They opened a little early and we were done with FOP at 8:56. Then waited 15 min for NaVi. Done with both by 9:30. By then, the FOP queue was about 2 hours.

PS - I agree with the comment that someone who is there only for a few days might not want to wait 2+ hours. Whereas we annual pass folks who go routinely don't mind 'wasting' a bunch of time waiting on line for it, since we've ridden everything else many times and don't feel like we're sacrificing our limited time at the parks. :)

Edited: 19 December 2017, 23:14
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
9,767 posts
181 reviews
10. Re: FOP Experience

We were a party of 2...FastPasses were not an issue at all this trip despite the crowds. We literally got everything we wanted day of with a bit of effort and refreshing choices. Never took more time than the wait in the FastPass line, so it wasn’t like I was missing out on anything to keep trying.

Reply to: FOP Experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted