We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney swan or Disney dolphin resort

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Disney swan or Disney dolphin resort

My husband and our two children 8 and 10 will be going to Disney this summer. What resort should we stay at the Disney Swan or the Disney Dolphin? We have to stay at one of the two we don't have another choice.

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney swan or Disney dolphin resort

famiof4,

I sometimes think that when the people who designed the Dolphin met on their original design concept, they set out to make the ugliest hotel imaginable. IMHO they succeeded. I am not a fan of the Dolphin.

Besides the pool is nicer at the Swan and its closer to the ice cream shop in Boardwalk.

CTR

UK
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney swan or Disney dolphin resort

Personally, the Swan - it is more compact and easier to get around. BUT both hotels share the same facilities (pools) etc.

I think that the Swan & Dolphin are great hotels - excellent location, good theming and great value for money (compared with the other hotels on Disney property...)

UCC

austin
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney swan or Disney dolphin resort

FOR SURE the Swan! The swan has two queens vs the 2 doubles at the dolphin - that alone made our choice for us! :)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney swan or Disney dolphin resort

I've stayed at both quite a bit over the years, and while I prefer the Dolphin, either would be fine for you (and with four people, you may prefer the Swan's rooms). The Dolphin has more rooms with great views, more (and much better) restaurants, a big, pretty lobby with a fountain and a piano player every night, more interesting architecture, and more "Wow" factor. The Swan is quieter and calmer, with no main lobby. However, the Swan has the bigger beds (queens rather than doubles), marginally larger rooms, and a much bigger bathroom than at the Dolphin, with two sinks - one in the same room as the bath, and one in a small dressing area. The Dolphin's bathrooms are quite tiny, with only one sink (which is in a dressing area). The Swan also has a couple of hammocks under the palm trees near the pool - really nice.

The recent re-do of the public rooms in both hotels have decreased the extra "fun" factor the Dolphin used to have, leaving both hotels with similar decor. If you stay at the Swan, I strongly suggest slipping over to the Dolphin to eat -especially for breakfast. Fresh at the Dolphin is very good for a rather pricy breakfast, while Picabu is a good all-day cafeteria for quick and less expensive meals. I have tried Gullivers' at the Swan several times over the years (most recently last October), and am afraid I cannot recommend it. The Dolphin's poolside restaurant is also much, much better than the Swan's - their hamburgers are wonderful - and this is from someone who seldom orders hamburgers. You can eat at either hotel and charge things to your room (and get your Starwood points.)

I had a lengthy post earlier today under the topic - Grand Hyatt or Dolphin? - you may want to check that out for more info. Whichever you choose, I know you will enjoy your stay.

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney swan or Disney dolphin resort

havent been recently, but in years past, there was a fee to park at these hotels, even for guests, and you didnt get free parking for the parks (as you would with a deluxe hotel at Disney). is this still true? if so, factor those expenses into your room rate...

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney swan or Disney dolphin resort

Another slight factor....the Dolphin has the much larger convention and meeting facilities and will thus have a much higher chance of being full with a group of conventioners. This can impact use of the facility somewhat at the times when several hundred attendees are all using the elevators or restaurants at the same time or in the common areas. One minute it's crowded and the next all is quiet while they are all off to meeting rooms to fall asleep in boring PowerPoint presentations.

Egg Harbor...
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney swan or Disney dolphin resort

My opinion is to start looking some place else I wouldn't spend the money at either place with the smell and the mold and everything else there are plenty of places to choose from don't settle for these 2 places.

8. Re: Disney swan or Disney dolphin resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 12:21