We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle launch Aug 7th

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle launch Aug 7th

I was wondering if anyone thinks it's worth $114 dollars pp to stand on NASA bridge & watch a live launch? My OH loves all things spacey & I'm toying with the idea of getting tickets.

Is there anywhere the 'locals' know where you can stand for free? Or am I just being a big meanie!

Thanks

mj6
manchester england
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle launch Aug 7th

it seems alot, but if other half loves spaces then it a chance in a lifetime, but be careful because if it does not go on that day and you are due to go home when it goes up then you have lost a lot of money

the locals might come up with a viewing point fingers crossed

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,428 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle launch Aug 7th

Is this $114 refundable to you if the shuttle gets delayed?

I would never pay to see the shuttle launch unless I was given a refund if the mission is scurbbed. More times than not, the shuttle does not go up on the first attempt, and more times than not, the delay is in terms of days and sometimes even weeks.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle launch Aug 7th

I wouldn´t do that again...

You can NOT be sure that the shuttle will go that day and the chance is very HIGH that there is a storm in a diameter of 15 miles around launch pad 39b...

And if there is a storm or high winds or... or... or.... they will stop the countdown and send you home!

normally they have a time window and they will let you know when they try again...

1 day later... 2, 3 days... 1 week or a month...

if you have these tickets they don´t refund and you have to come back!

there are many places for viewing around this area outside of the kennedy space center... just wait for locals and they can name them!

:-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle launch Aug 7th

Why is it so expensive we have bought tickets to watch from Kennedy Space Centre for 4 people including air courier to the UK for $197 at least that way if it does not go we can still have a look round the space centre

Redcar, United...
Level Contributor
350 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle launch Aug 7th

I read once before that you could see shuttle launches really clearly from coco beach. hope this is right as we were planning a beach day, go for something to eat and watch from there.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shuttle launch Aug 7th

It would be cool to see it but I think it's going to be too much. The only tickets left are either for the 'visitor centre view' (which is after the shuttle has cleared the tree line) which are much cheaper, or from Grayline at $114 pp which gets you onto the NASA causeway so you can see the actual lift-off. They also take you to & from Orlando.

I like the sound of the cocoa beach idea idea! Maybe that's the relaxing way to do it. It won't matter then if it's postponed.

Thanks for all your comments.

Gillett, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shuttle launch Aug 7th

Cocoa Beach is a perfect place to watch the launch. My brother's family was there last year during a launch and had a wonderful view right from the beach.

Redcar, United...
Level Contributor
350 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shuttle launch Aug 7th

ooh great!!

That's one day double ticked on my itinery now.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shuttle launch Aug 7th

if you look at the posts by

FL_gal3 you will see she has outlined a space a few months back.

if you type her name in the search it should come up.

As a local I got to say you can just turn eastward. the drive out to the beaches that day is pretty bad. But the beaches are the best place.

type in a search for shuttle launch and you will see flgal, mine, and a few other recommendations in the past!

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shuttle launch Aug 7th

Heck I can watch the shuttle launches for free from Daytona Beach!

I can't really see the shuttle the first minute (too far away), but I sure can hear it! And if its a night launch, I can see the flames and smoke lighting up right away!

There is a park named Canaveral National Seashore just north of Kennedy Space Center (and just east of Titusville) where you can watch the launch from the beach also.