We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Mt Dora

Birmingham U.k.
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
visiting Mt Dora

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get to Mt Dora by train from Orlando? All the directions are by car and my husband and I don't hire a car but we travel miles using public transport and our seniors pass.Just like the look of Mt Dora and would love to give it a visit on our next trip-not till February but already startwd planning!Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Dora
Mount Dora
Lake County, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Mt Dora

Sorry, no trains to Mt. Dora from anywhere. You'll have to rent a car or some other transportation.

The Lynx bus system (Orange County) does not service Lake County where Mt. Dora is located.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Dora
Mount Dora
Lake County, FL
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
842 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Mt Dora

There used to be a train that went from Orlando to Mount Dora but unfortunatly the service was terminated in 2003. Your main transportation method to Mt.Dora is either by car or some taxi cab companies might offer service to Mt.Dora but you should call the company to make sure before you get on the taxi cab. If you can make it, Mt.Dora is very well worth the visit, its a peacefull small-town community with a beautifull city center with historic buildings, restaurants, sidewalk cafes, small boutiques, several nice parks, and a marina on the peacefull Lake Dora. There is also a small railway to Lake Eustis and Taveres including dinner and lunch trains. You can get more info on Mt.Dora at www.mountdora.com

Mentioned in this post
Lake Dora
Lake Dora
516 Reviews
Mount Dora, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Mount Dora
Mount Dora
Lake County, FL
Central Florida...
Level Contributor
23 posts
401 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Mt Dora

There IS a train ride in Mt. Dora , even one which features dinner but, it's not like traveling to Minehead on a steam train. Also rec. Mount Dora Museum of Speed Classic car Museum . Opem M-F 10a-5p.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Dora Museum Of Speed
Mount Dora Museum Of...
242 Reviews
Mount Dora, FL
Central Florida...
Level Contributor
23 posts
401 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Mt Dora

Hi Pattikins; I'm sorry I am remiss in getting your e-mail. I do not check tripadvisor very often. Most of the train service runs UP the EAST Coast (only) of FL and the U.S. from Sanford FL, .which is a neighboring community to Mt. Dora (45 2-lane minutes East). There is a horrible train ride to NW to Eustis but, not worth mentioning. You would almost have to take a shuttle small bus from the airport. I think it is $35 USD. each way. Feb. will be a brilliant time to travel (no humidity)- try NOT to come June 1-Oct-15. brutally hot. We love your Country. have traveled there many times. Last trip to Devonshire. Kerry & Cindy

Mentioned in this post
Sanford
Sanford
Central Florida, FL
Mount Dora
Mount Dora
Lake County, FL
Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,257 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Mt Dora

It's 4 YEARS since this question was asked, so there seems little point in answering it; but in fact the answer is - YES you can get to Mount Dora by bus from any part of Orlando that is on the LYNX bus system. It will take a long time, but it can be done. LYNX buses go to Zellwood where Lake County service connects with its own service (LakeXPress - route 4) to Mt Dora, Eustis and so on. Monday-Friday only.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Dora
Mount Dora
Lake County, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
6. Re: visiting Mt Dora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2010, 05:19