We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical storm Felix?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stoke-on-Trent
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tropical storm Felix?

Does anyone have any info on the depression forming in the atlantic at the moment which may form into tropical storm/hurricane felix by this weekend?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
347 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical storm Felix?

i did hear about this but apparently its nothing to worry about something along the lines ov their initial observations were not as bad as they thought, i might be wrong check out weather underground they are usually great with things like this.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical storm Felix?

www.nhc.noaa.gov (US National Hurricane Center website)

All official Atlantic area hurricanes, tropical storms, and depressions show up there (as well as Eastern Pacific area storms as well). If it is not at least an official tropical depression (or at least was at one point), it will not show up there.

There is no active storm currently on that site except Hurricane Dean. If there is something in the Atlantic besides Dean, it isn't a tropical depression, at least not yet. If it does become a tropical depression, the above website will begin running advisories and forecasts for it. Other US forecasters, from local news stations to CNN, Weather Channel, etc., use their official forecasts.

From time to time, websites for Orlando tv stations such as www.wesh.com, www.local6.com, and www.wftv.com will point out potential trouble spots that could become storms. www.weather.com and their Hurricane Central section sometimes points out trouble spots that aren't official yet. If nothing else, you can look at their maps of the tropical Atlantic for potential trouble spots. I watched a storm for a week or two that was not official in the Atlantic by looking at their maps, then combined with something else and became Katrina.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical storm Felix?

Eddie - have you been away?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical storm Felix?

hylprime, I saw last night on WFTV Channel 9 the meteorologist Tom Terry (aka "Scary" Terry) talking about a tropical "wave" (this is the preferred term that they use around here for something that could become a tropical depression or worse, but hasn't developed yet) that is generally north of Hispanola (DR/Haiti) but could become something and head toward Florida. Maybe that's what you were thinking of? He said they weren't anticipating it being that big of a deal (meaning it wouldn't become a hurricane, I think), but who knows?

Chinners, thanks for noticing. I was away for a while to try to fill the vacant position for Atlanta Falcons starting QB (since Michael Vick has been otherwise occupied), but Joey Harrington beat me out, having been inspired by his cousin's win at the Open Championship.

Stoke-on-Trent
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical storm Felix?

Eddiek - thanks very much for this info. Just panicking as i am due to fly out on Friday 23rd and don't want anything to put this in doubt!!

Not too bothered if a hurricane forms while i am there - i was there in 2004 when hurricane Frances hit and was delayed for 5 days, much prefer to be delayed there than here!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,611 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical storm Felix?

On Fox the guy said there was one forming way out in the Atlantic that could cause probs in FL in 8 days or so.

A

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical storm Felix?

There is a system that has formed off the northern FL coast called "92L" I believe

Here is the latest information:-

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo_atl.shtml

This link shows the possible track:-

wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200792_…

Teresa

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical storm Felix?

Didn't see any system on those links off the Northern FL coast, so I assume you probably just mean the one a bit east of the Bahamas; the same one Tom Terry was pointing out, which is the one they seem to be talking about there. Not really a cause for worry yet, until it (or if it) becomes a tropical depression.

God help those poor people directly in Dean's track or previously in Dean's track in the Yucatan.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical storm Felix?

Thankfully, the part of the Yucatan the center of Dean has gone through is sparsely populated, or so I read. Just hope the few who lived there got out.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
5,195 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical storm Felix?

8 days?

I hope Vegas gets home OK!