We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hired - ideas of places to visit now please!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
644 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Car hired - ideas of places to visit now please!

We are off to Orlando for 17 nights towards the end of November.

We have one week booked at POR at Disney and then we move to International Drive for 10 nights. We have decided to 'brave the roads' and hire a car for a week whilst on I Drive.

We will be done with the Disney parks in the first week and can do Seaworld and Universal with the local buses - so where can you recommend as places to visit a little further afield. We plan to do the shopping malls (Mall at Millenium and Florida) whilst we have the car, also Busch Gardens and Clearwater.

By the way, we are four adults - my husband and I and our daughter and son in law - so we aren't wanting kiddie oriented places. We love shopping and being near to Christmas - any places with a festive theme, or pretty coastal towns.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,601 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hired - ideas of places to visit now please!

Well, apart from the malls, and lovely places to eat that arent' on Idrive (by the way, with a car you could have chosen a better area), I'd say visit FL in general. Clearwater is OK, but further south you have the barrier islands like anna maria, longboat key, Lido Key, Sieata Key and they are all lovely. And the beaches and beachcombing are great on Sanibel/Captiva.

FL and a festive chritmas theme are a bit not the point unless you are in the world of Disney. You'll find that atmosphere in the malls/shops, but I'm thinking that would be the same anywhere.

For a true change of pace, and if you can change your ressies, I'd look farther afield to Miami or the keys for your change of pace.

If you can't, then I'd check out Mt Dora, Winterpark, KSC, the gulf beaches. Any maybe relax by the pool, and soak up the sun.

Lincolnshire UK
Level Contributor
406 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hired - ideas of places to visit now please!

Have you thought about Kennedy Space Centre

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hired - ideas of places to visit now please!

Kennedy Soace Center (45 min driving)

St. Augustine-oldest town in FL; very historic

Liverpool
Level Contributor
644 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hired - ideas of places to visit now please!

Thanks all for your suggestions. As we have never driven in the U.S. before are any of the places suggested easier to get to than others from I Drive? How far away are these places. Ideally we are looking for not more than a couple of hours drive away.

Orlando
Level Contributor
463 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hired - ideas of places to visit now please!

Kennedy Space Center is a good choice. It's on the East Coast and should only be an hour drive. You could do that in the morning and add a trip to the beach while you're over there.

St Augustine will take you approx 1 1/2 hours going north on I-4 and picking up I-95 in Daytona. If you are into history this is a pretty neat place.

For the Plant lovers there is Leu Gardens.

The Orlando Science Center.

If you have race fans, Daytona USA is up in Daytona...again do that in the morning and visit the "World's Most Famous Beach" in the afternoon. Daytona is only about an hour up I-4.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hired - ideas of places to visit now please!

Hi

With a car you can get anywhere on their long open roads. How about a beach day at St Petes - about an hour away. Lovely beach, town and from there you could try Busch Gardens in Tampa about 45 mins away. Head too for the Keys (I'd leave out Key West itself - kinda mucky). Tarpon Springs is pretty mostly farmland in surrounding areas probably a couple ol hours away.

Sarasota is a popular place too.

Good luck

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hired - ideas of places to visit now please!

Couple of suggestions, Bok tower it's a national park (check web site) and is about 40 mins south of Orlando, also Mount Dora, lovely old town with old shops and ice cream parlours etc. its also on a lake, drive time from int drive is about 35 mins, head north on the I4 towards Sanford, its signposted.

Both of these places get you away from the crowds.

Have a great time

manchester,england
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hired - ideas of places to visit now please!

a Manc helping a Scouser i cant believe i am doing this (JOKE) to be serious though i went with family this year 5 adults and we drove down to Key West took approx. 8 hours but well worth it.we stayed for 2 nights and i am only sorry it was not longer.it is a fantastic place for adults.if you are not in any hurry stop on the way down,Key Largo is nice as is all the Keys.have a few hours shopping in Miami.

9. Re: Car hired - ideas of places to visit now please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 10:38