We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any suggestions on car rentals?? Mco

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
any suggestions on car rentals?? Mco

I need to rent a car for a week. I have looked at alot of car rentals companies at the airport and they seem like good deals until you tag on the insurances, cdw...all the little hidden costs. Just wondering if anyone has any positive feedback on a specific car rental..I don't like suprises.

Thank you

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any suggestions on car rentals?? Mco

Used Dollar severeral times and found them good. We book their platinum insurance up front and can usually get a good deal.

Other bonus is the car lot is a two minute walk from arrivals building so no messing about picking the car up.

Sebewaing, Michigan
Level Contributor
381 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any suggestions on car rentals?? Mco

I've used Thrifty and Dollar with no problem. I usually go to carrentals.com to get prices. Also the Floridakiss.com site has a link to the Dollar site. You can also search allearsnet for discount codes. I just booked Alamo thru Northwest Air and put in another code that I saw online. That was the best deal. Just look and look. I will mention that I was told Eagle has been bought out by Advantage, so I would look into that before reserving Eagle in Orlando. A good rule of thumb is that if you can save $20 or more, it's worth the shuttle.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any suggestions on car rentals?? Mco

Thrifty usually has good deals when you go direct to their site. carental.com and bnm.com are also good places to check for comparitive rates.

If you have a gold visa or mastercard you can get some level of car insurance protection. Check your CC company for details.

Lovely Midwest
Level Contributor
372 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any suggestions on car rentals?? Mco

The best deals I found (on 4 consecutive trips) has been with alamo. Checkout Mousesavers.com for discount codes to try. We just got back and had a mid-size car for $90 w/tax for 4 days.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any suggestions on car rentals?? Mco

OHHH...you're going to love me for this one...

Just booked a premium car at Orlando Airport for four days for $116 out the door!!

Check Avis with the AWD# A153700...cheapest rates I've found BY FAR!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
306 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any suggestions on car rentals?? Mco

We always use Avis for business travel. Always had good service and no issues.

Clarkston...
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: any suggestions on car rentals?? Mco

I used the AWD code posted by deadhead above, and it did give me an awesome deal! However, I wanted to find out what this code was for so that I don't get a surprise when I try to get my vehicle. For instance, the AWD discount code for Costco says they may ask to see my Costco card.

In a search for A153700, I found that is an Avis employee discount code. One of the posts made on Flyer Talk (way back in 2004!) said the Avis desk asked to see the person's Avis employee ID. Since he/she was not employed by Avis, the reservation was invalid.

If I'm wrong about this, please let me know, because I love the vehicle and price I was able to reserve! Hmmmm... maybe I should try to get a temporary job with Avis! :)

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any suggestions on car rentals?? Mco

Wazzu,

I was worried about that too, so I contacted AVIS and asked specifically if there was anything I needed to show upon check-in. I was assured that all I'd need was a valid credit card, driver's license and possibly a second form of ID...the operator assured me that a passport, library card, etc would be sufficient. I took some notes, got the operator's ID number etc, so I feel confident that all's good. By all means, if you're not comfortable, don't use the discount code. I've found in the past that the desk workers seldom give a damn and usually don't ask for anything.

Clarkston...
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: any suggestions on car rentals?? Mco

As much as I would love to use the Avis employee code, I don't feel comfortable with it right now. I've seen it mentioned in a couple of places on Flyer Talk, and this quote among the list of codes pretty much sealed it for me:

"A153700 - Avis Employer (DO NOT USE!!!) - NOTE: A153700-A153799 will always be questioned !!!"

I'll read more...

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any suggestions on car rentals?? Mco

What are your dates Wazzu? I'll be happy to let you know how it goes once we're back.