We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MGM Tower of Terror

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
306 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
MGM Tower of Terror

OK, I'm sure you're all going to laugh at this one! I'm just going to come out and admit it, I'm kind of afraid of elevators. Guess I've seen one too many movie where elevator cables break...

The earlier question re: the "scary" factor of Splash Mountain insprired me to write this post. So a question for those who have been on the Tower of Terror - what's the scary factor like for that one?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MGM Tower of Terror

I've done my hysterics in prior posts concerning Tower of Terror. I won't do that now.

I will just say this: I went on Tower of Terror a number of years ago.

I will not do it again.

Of course, many others have contrary opinions.

You could say that the elevator cables breaking or something to that effect pretty much sums up the ride.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,420 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MGM Tower of Terror

Well, the worst part to me is the absolute pitch black darkness you experience just before the "dropping" commences.

The "uncertaintity" of how many times you are going to "go up and come back down" plus the distance traveled, which varys each ride too, is also disconcerting.

You see, a few years ago, they "changed" the sequence of the lifts and drops so that it's random and different each time you ride TOT. You may lift and drop the entire 13 floors in one sequence or just a small part. You don't know how many times you'll go "up and down" either, as that also varys each time you ride.

Since you actually are dropped down much faster than the speed of gravity, it's pretty intense when you do drop and you do "leave your stomach" hanging due to the speed.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MGM Tower of Terror

Ooh, Mgm Tower of terror is in a different league! If you are afraid of elevators, then this ride may make or break you!!

You basically simulate a broken lift cable shortly after the doors open to reveal the outside, sum 120 feet up. Then, you are plunged 10 storeys in about 3 seconds flat! I thought it was fantastic, but then again, i am an adrenalin junkie. My wife, on the other hand said that she'd never been so relived to see the souvenir shop!!!

If Splash mountain was rated at say 2 on a scary scale of 10, i would personally rate Tower of Terror an 8.

Having said that, it is one of those rides that is far worse on the 1st go, because you've a pretty good idea what's install, but you don't know when, or to what extend you're gonna be scared!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
306 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MGM Tower of Terror

Oh my...OK, my husband might bo going solo on this one!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MGM Tower of Terror

It's a thrill ride with a theme. A good story that goes along with it. My wife will no longer ride it (she did once), she stays with us and then bails just as you enter the elevators.

The ride itself takes place mostly in the dark, with some references to the Twilight Zone, then you can tell you're going up. I've been on it (when it first opened) when it did a short drop then followed by a long drop,(seeming to instill the thought that the elevator is breaking down) another time when it did three long drops and several short, down then up , then down and so on. I don't know if they change the sequence to keep it different or maybe if the lines are shorter they let the ride last longer. At some point on an up beat the doors open and you're looking out over MGM, this is a good time to scream as it adds some background atmoshere to the rest of the park.

Basically you feel the effects of weightlessness and its very fun if you like that kind of stuff. The one downside is that the actual "thrill" ride lasts less than a minute, but overall very entertaining.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MGM Tower of Terror

I'd love to know how it works, from an engineering standpoint. It's very clever when you think about it.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
279 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MGM Tower of Terror

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER again will I go near that ride. I know its all about opinions, but there is no way this ride could be described as fun!

Armagh, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MGM Tower of Terror

Ok I was completely freaked out about this ride before reading the above now I think my hubby will be going alone.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MGM Tower of Terror

Maybe I'm far too rational, but I don't see how people can possibly fear such things.

If you don't ride because you have (say) back trouble or are pregnant, etc etc, then fine.

But simple fear?

I visited MGM a few years back with a family which included a 11 year old boy who was a real "wuss". There was NO WAY he was going in there.

I took him into the gift shop, and stood him right by the ride exit for a good few minutes. I told him to stand there and count the number of people coming out with newly-broken limbs, on stretchers, or otherwise showing ANY ill effects whatsoever.

He rode the ride. And loved it!

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MGM Tower of Terror

one of my fave!

just LOVE it.

I usually don´t like elevators because have claustrophobia and if that is your problem, don´t be afraid and go!