We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A moral dilemma...

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
essex
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A moral dilemma...

The recent amount of nasty bugs going around at the moment got me thinking. If you woke up on the morning of your holiday with a sickness bug, would you travel knowing that you were likely to pass it on to other passengers (ruining the start of their holiday) or would you contact your insurance company to see if they would pay for a flight out when you were better?

Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
596 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A moral dilemma...

travel and blame the in flight ,meal... lol,,, no one would know

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,836 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A moral dilemma...

I think most passengers travel with their bugs ,seeing the amount of coughing and snezzing going around the planes I travel on .And knowning insurance companys as I do, I dont think you would get any type of delay untill you were better from a cold.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,927 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A moral dilemma...

Depends how bad I felt and whether I felt I could stand the eight hour flight.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A moral dilemma...

I suppose it would depend how ill you felt but I don't think anyone would cancel their holiday on the strength of not wanting to pass on bugs to other passengers if they felt well enough to travel. Neither do I think any insurance co would pay out on such a claim.

A couple of years ago I woke up on the morning of our flight to Orlando feeling lousy. I took some paracetemol, gritted my teeth and just got on with things. Within 24 hours of landing, I was laid up in bed in our villa with the Flu complicated by tonsillitis and we lost four days of our precious holiday.

I did feel a little guilty wondering how many people I had passed my germs onto during the flight and hoped it hadn't ruined anyone else's holiday.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,836 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A moral dilemma...

Dazzlers I bet that was the first thought that entered your mind ,all those poor old passengers ,not how much you wish you were out enjoying yourselve rofl

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A moral dilemma...

Nemmis I was gutted!

I can highly recommend American antibiotics, I'm sure they're much stronger than our's!

A three day course of the biggest tablets I've ever seen and I was back on my feet!

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A moral dilemma...

I think it would take a sincerely honest person to postpone their Hol, due to a sickness bug. You could always say it was travel sickness lol!

Every passenger could be totally bug free, and then be infected by one of the cabin crew!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,945 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A moral dilemma...

To be honest, I think if it was a virus like cold or Flu, I really can't see the insurance co paying out for cancellation or delay. They might go for a delay, but not cancellation forFlu. But, as these viruses are transient and hard to diagnose exactly, I can't see a claim holding up.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A moral dilemma...

With all the recirculated air on board, I wouldnt worry about it. The filters only get changed once every 2 months or so.

Never drink tea or coffee onboard - the water storage tanks are horrible inside and the bev makers dont heat the water sufficiently to kill any bugs in it. Drink bottled water or juice.

essex
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A moral dilemma...

It's amazing, how we are all so selfish when it comes to our holiday's isn't it?

I was thinking more along the lines of sickness bugs being the worst. Colds are really not an issue to fly with and if anybody really has had the flu (I mean proper flu, not a stinking cold) they wouldn't physically be able to make it to the airport let alone on a flight!

I must admit, I too would probably still travel with sickness, but i would feel very guilty, particularly if there were lots of kids and elderly people on board! I think I'd just have to try and justify it by the reasoning that they are just as likely to catch a bug from a million other sources, than from me.

I hope I haven't jinxed myself now! I'll probably end up sitting next to somebody with dysentary or something now. LOL!