We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Orlando

Dublin
Level Contributor
82 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Orlando

Staying in International Drive over Christmas. What is Downtown Orlando like? Any suggestions on best sights etc? Any flea markets / antique markets etc.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Orlando

No reason to go to Downtown at all. Really.

Davenport, Florida
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Orlando

I was informed by locals that there is nothing from a tourist point of view to see in Downtown Orlando, as after hours it almost shuts down and its not an advisable place to go after dark..

conn
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Orlando

downtown is mostly a 9 to 5 busness area nothing wrong with the area just nothing for tourists. very quite at night.

Florida
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Orlando

There is Church Street (they have bars and little shops) near downtown but that is about it.

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Orlando

coolbawn,

During the day downtown Orlando is dominated by men in three piece pin striped suits and women in "dress for success" tailored ensembles.

There are a few night clubs and tattoo parlors that operate at night, but until the construction at 408 and I-4 is finished (in four years or so), life in that neck of the woods will be difficult at best. Even those of us who know their way around in that part of the city get lost occasionally due to the ever changing detours. I don't think the area is particularly dangerous, but it is not somewhere you should go if you don't know exactly where you are going.

There are flea markets on 192 in Kissimmee and there is one on the Orange Blossom Trail south of I-4. If you are looking for true antiques, check out http://www.renningers.com/ for a serious flea market.

CTR

Dublin
Level Contributor
82 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Orlando

Thanks for all the info. Just thought Downtown might have some interesting museums etc.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Orlando

There is an area called Winter Park which is just north of Kissimee which is very residential with lots of little shops, coffee shops and museums. There is a farmers market on a Saturday morning

. The area is beautiful with lakes and lovely homes and is a different world from Kissimee and Disney .

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Orlando

coolbawn,

There are two art museums, a couple of theatres and a science museum in the Loch Haven area north of Orlando. Take I-4 to Princeton Street and make a right. The museums will be on both sides of the road after you cross the railroad tracks. The Orlando Museum of Art and the Mennello Museum are each worth an hour or two. The Morse Museum in Winter Park a little further north has a magnificant collection of Tiffany glass. It is also worth an hour or two.

If you do go to the Science Center check out the I-Max theatre. We saw "Storm on the Bayou" there recently. It alone is worth the trip.

CTR

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown Orlando

Winter Park is actually a little bit north of Downtown Orlando, not Kissimmee.

Dublin
Level Contributor
82 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown Orlando

How would I get to Winter Park without a car?