We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do most girls dress for Character dining?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Do most girls dress for Character dining?

I just heard from a friend that most young girls dress up like a princess for some of the Character meals. We are doing 1900 Park Fare and Princess Storybook Dining. I would hate to show up only to find that all the little girls were dressed up and mine wasn't. We will probably be in the park all day so would just stick a party princess dress in my knap sack and forget about hair and accessories. Let me know what the majority do. I am not much for dressing my daughter up, but she is 5 and would be embarrassed if all the other girls were dressed up.

Thanks in advance.

Florida
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do most girls dress for Character dining?

When we took our daughter to 1900 park fare she wore a cinderella dress. Some of the girls were not dressed up tho. The girls that were dressed up thought they were mini princess's and loved it. So I say let her be a princess for the night and dress like one!!

Lovely Midwest
Level Contributor
376 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do most girls dress for Character dining?

We did breakfast in the Castle and my daughter dressed as Snow White (her favorite princess at the time). The majority of the girls were dressed up for breakfast (we brought a change of clothes along). The pictures of my daughter with each of the princesses (including Snow White) in the Castle are precious.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do most girls dress for Character dining?

Eric...My aunt and I travel with our 4 and 5 year old daughters...and honestly we have never dreesed them up, and they never felt left out. I only seen maybe 15% of the girls dressed up, maybe a bit more at the Cinderella Castle luncheon, but most were hot, itchy and miserable! I think the parents were more into it then the youngsters. We found matching lightweight sundresses for them to wear and did there hair up in high ponytail with a cute fake pink hair ponytail holder...they were adorable, comfortable and happy...and ironically everyone there thought we took them to the bippity boppity boo shop...and we didn't!!!

I think if you just do the dress for the meal it wouldn't be so bad, but to make them wear all that in the heat is well...mean! I'm sure parents are well intended but gosh those poor little girls looked miserable!!

Have a fun time...we have done nearly all of the character dinings..and we enjoed them too!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do most girls dress for Character dining?

The last time we were in Disney there were more girls NOT dressed up than dressed. One day my daughter wanted to wear her cinderella dress so I let her and she loved the extra attention she got from the characters, they bowed and kissed her hand and called her Your majesty. She loved it. We were glad we had packed the dress. Of course, this was in December and the weather was in the 50s and 60s. I also brought her tennis shoes with us and she changed into them halfway through the day because her feet were starting to hurt. She only wanted to do it that day and that was probably because she saw other girls doing it, but believe me, your daughter would not be the only one not dressed up, most kids did not.

Fayetteville, AR
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Do most girls dress for Character dining?

we are always in the parks all day when doing character meals so we have never dressed our daughter up.....some do but most dont.....if i did i would definately bring a change of clothes......that is just one extra thing to carry around and worry with.....if your daughter just really really wants to then it would be worth it for her, but if you are just worried that she would be one of the only ones not dressed up then dont worry and dont bother.....

Florida
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do most girls dress for Character dining?

For the "character dining" in the park I would not dress my daughter up (it is too hot), but for 1900 park fare meal I say go for it!!

Cheshire,UK
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Do most girls dress for Character dining?

Have also done lunch in Cinderellas Castle and most of the girls were dressed normally, in fact I really can't remember many girls being dressed up as people were spending the day in the park. I saw more dressed up girls for the evening fireworks and parades so maybe they got dressed for dinner...

My kids never dressed up and didn't seem bothered.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do most girls dress for Character dining?

We have never dressed our girls up and most kids are not. If you do,make sure to bring a change of clothes. You could do a few accessories;tiara and wand without going the whole route

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do most girls dress for Character dining?

Hi - We are going this January and I am bringing a dress from home for my daughter as she will be doing the BBB. We did go two years ago and did not bring a dress but I bought a tiara for the night at 1900 Princess dinner and she wore a cotton dress and looked adorable. Do whatever you feel she will enjoy. Have a great time.

Colorado
Level Contributor
131 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do most girls dress for Character dining?

We did pack the princess dresses for our girls and had them change before going to BBB then to 1900 Park Fare. The dressing up really made the night for them. The pictures are priceless as well. When we went it seemed that at least half the girls were dressed up. In fact, I recall those who weren't dressed up standing out more. I'd let her dress up. It will make her day!